Incubators Anonymous

I used regular apple cider vinegar. The lovely thing is that it is already at a 5% solution straight out of the bottle. Says so right on the label. The easiest source of Vitamin C is Fruit Fresh. Unless they have changed their ingredients it is powdered Vitamin C aka ascorbic acid. In that case it would take some calculation to make the solution the proper 5%. That was another reason that I ran with the vinegar I already had instead of buying the Fruit Fresh. I haven't made a proper measured solution from a powdered chemical and water since I had Organic Chemistry over 30 years ago. :old If I ever decide to do it, it will probably take a week of research to find the instructions for making a 5% solution. Well Ask.com can probably spit out the answer for me in about 2 minutes. It will be a week of poking at an unused part of my brain to understand the directions again.

One thing that the vinegar does help with on the super dark eggs: Because it takes off the brown the eggs are easier to candle! :woot

I am surprised that eggs would survive dipping in pure vinegar (5% acetic acid) I would have expected making a solution with 5% vinegar. That is one cup vinegar added to water to make five quarts of solution.

Well I had a fun morning.I had Polish x EE hatch early in the turners. 4 chicks out and chirping I have several more working on it in the hatcher ( now that Ive moved them)

So I had a mystery chick hatch two days early......? First time this has happened to me, normally they are all on the same day. These eggs just randomly came in the mail, and in my haste to unpack them I threw away the box and didn't catch the name to see if it was from someone I previously ordered from, which is probably the most likely.

So I had a mystery chick hatch two days early......? First time this has happened to me, normally they are all on the same day. These eggs just randomly came in the mail, and in my haste to unpack them I threw away the box and didn't catch the name to see if it was from someone I previously ordered from, which is probably the most likely.

Mystery chicks are always fun...mystery hatchery chicks not so much anyone know what he is wrong little guy in a box they are not even sure..I think some type of game bird he looks and act nothing like any other bantam i have.

Anyone else ever feel like a nervous father-to-be pacing the waiting room when you put eggs in lockdown?

3 Serama eggs pipped so far (that I can tell), and I hear peeping!
yep and there always seems to be that one pokey one that takes forever to hatch

Back
Top Bottom