Incubators

Ultimtely It Depends On The Egg Sizes.... To Single Stack As To Allow A Hatch Within... I Would Say It Should Easily Accomodate 60-70 Eggs At Once. They Will Dry Quickly In There And Since Quail Are Born With On Board 4 Wheel Drive Dont Worry About It Looking Crowded, No Longer Then They Would Be In There After Hatching They Will Do Just Fine

Not only did I hatch easy to hatch eggs as I was informed. But, what I didn't mention was that I also hatched out 9 peachicks and 15 pekin ducklings. In my experience it doesn't matter what eggs you have in an incubator. If the incubator isn't monitored correctly, or the eggs you're hatching aren't good viable eggs you won't have a good hatch. I have a friend who made his own incubator out of an old refrigerator and hatched out Bobwhite Quail and pheasant eggs with a 90% hatch rate. I hand turn all my eggs and check the temp. and humidity levels every couple hours. So if I don't have a good hatch I can't blame the incubator. How you use your incubator should determine your success rate.

One more question...non-incubator related. I have designed my cages. Choosing my wire. Is 1x2 hardware cloth small enough? I also found some baby wire that is 1x2 with a 0.5x1" bottom that is 4" high. So the wire above the 4" line would be the 1x2? Will either of these work? Or should I try to find 0.5x1 inch hardware cloth? I am placing the cages with dropping pans on shelves under a roofed lean-to(sp?) type shelter.

Quote:
ALL OVER

X 2!

X3. Its not so much about them getting out when they are adults. But keeping things out, too. Besides, they like to stand there with their faces to the wire and something can reach in and bite off. Harder thing to happen with 1/2 x 1/2" hardware cloth.

I know that the 1/2" hardware cloth is ideal, but is a 4" high strip of 1/2" x 1" then 1x2 okay? I don't want anyone getting out or strangled trying to get out? It is just I have a source for this and the 1 x 2" hardware cloth. But will get what ever I need to, so that I have a long lasting, properly built confine.

LOL...Post the same time as Buttercup, so It looked like I am pushing the point...LOL! 1/2" x 1/2" it is then!!!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

NOW YOUR CATCHIN ON...

Quote:
I freely admit I have gotten no farther in this thread than this post BUT.... The R-com King Suro 20 is awesome!! I own 2. They are truly 'set & forget", compare very nicely w/the Brinsea 20 and price wise [http://www.poultrysupplies.com/index_files/page0006.htm it's like getting the auto-humidity pump for free! I have lost several hatches in the styro ones [LG stinks, Hova's are pretty good - I was given 2 so the price was right]. I now use my picture-window Hova-bator [w/added fan] as a hatcher if I need it [or when doing the chick-hatching classes at school. THAT was 1 awesome experience x 2! I am currently 'cooking' a split hatch of 14 buttons [7/7 a week apart] and 39 coturnix [18/19] in one Suro and will use the second for hatching. I LOVE that temp and humidity return to set levels within minutes, since quail chicks can't be left in the 'bator for 24 to 36 hours like chicken chicks. I can snatch them out as soon as dry and get them to feed and water in the brooder & the remaining chicks don't get 'shrink-wrapped'.

Back
Top Bottom