Incuview Incubator

Pics
I lowered the set point back down to 99.5 last night and just now checked all of the eggshell temps. I'm happy to report that all are in the 100-101 target range!!
Cool!..I mean just right warm......I mean that's great!!

Is that with the old style fan guard on?

Last edited:
O Wow!

I took the screen guard off. The first thing I noticed was the noise the fan made. It went from a kind of rough running sound to a very smooth sound. The second thing I noticed was the air flow. The air flows upwards through the ceramic heaters and not down like I thought before so the screen is actually on the suction side. The screen guard is DEFINITELY starving the fan. After snipping the zip ties and removing I could hold it in place and remove it comparing air flow coming from the top around the heating elements and the difference was night and day. I don't have an air flow meter but if I was to give an educated guess I'm thinking around a 90-95% air flow improvement. It really is a huge difference. This definitely explains why the outer ring is warmer. The air was SLOWLY being moved outward across the top of the unit and hit the outer areas first and by the time it got back to the center it had cooled.

I'll check the shell temps tomorrow night, I'm betting the results will be very favorable.

I still find it hard to believe a chick got their feet up in the fan and agree with others in this thread who think the turning tray was left on.
I'm going to modify this screen for better air flow and also leave enough material so that a chick can't get their head in the fan.

It was a foot/toe that got caught, not the head. And the turning tray was out.

Yes I know it was a foot.

I currently have an unguarded fan. It's more likely for a chick to get their head caught in this unguarded fan than a foot which is why I want a guard, just not the airflow restrictive guard that came with the unit. That guard restricted the airflow so much that it was pretty much a still air incubator. I'll take my chances on the feet.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think a guard could be fabricated that does not sit so close to the fan. It would have to be open enough for air flow like the stock guard but yet far enough away to keep chick parts away from the fan. Or maybe something like a 3/4" or so spacer to go between the stock guard and fan? I

I found some spacers that might work. Attach one of these inbetween the stock guard and the fan.
One of these may also help with the temps near the center as it would draw air nearer the bottom.
Some measuring will have to be done to see how tall of a spacer would work best.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9205/cpa-282/Tecnofront_AirBox_120_-_Acrylic_.html#blank

http://www.microcenter.com/product/393105/120mm_Fan_-_Radiator_Shroud_-_Plexi

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/fetfcxtrash1.html

Also if you had a spare fan and just gut it out and make a spacer. I knew I should have kept that fan after they sent me my replacement unit!

Last edited:
I have two new Incuview that have not been used yet (I am totally new to hatching!) I think I am going to take off fan guard for my incubation unit and then try to figure something out for the hatching/lockdown unit.

Will Incubator Warehouse send me the stock fan guards if I request them?

Any modification ideas...keep em coming!

Leela

Back
Top Bottom