Incuview Incubator

Pics
Thanks for trying to help...I really had thought that I read EVERYTHING on incubating eggs, and I did things so carefully!

Did you open the eggs that did not hatch? If so were they fully developed?

I did. Some looked like they started to develop, but then quit.

How old were the eggs?
Were they yours or shipped?

They were not more than 6 days old, I think I stored them wrong just large side down in an egg carton. They were my eggs, not shipped.

Did you stop turning from day 18 till the end?
Did you increase your moisture the last 3 days?

Yes and Yes.

Did you open the incubator to add water after day 18?

No.

Did you open to remove chicks as they hatched or waited till after the hatch date to open?

I took the first two out, once they were dry. At that point it didnt look like any others were going to hatch, and the two chicks were crashing into the eggs rolling them all over. I would have left the tray in the incubator...but I was missing the last page of the manual, by the time I got it emailed to me, I had already taken the tray out because I needed it to stop turning. Once the 3rd chick hatched, he seemed really weak...and overnight he died, was laying on his back in the incubator. When I opened it to take him out I checked the one that was zipping and he was dead too! So I took both of them out.

I will say, I feel a bit more confident now with this hatch!

Quote:
Good luck with your hatch! I had 20% on my first with shipped eggs. Today is officially 'Day 1' for our second hatch in the Incuview. Shipped eggs again (I know, it's a crapshoot), 18 Old English Red Pyle bantams. 9 had detached air sacs so they are all standing on end in holders for a few days. I'll hand tilt them until I put the turning tray in. After I get the turning tray in I'll get egg shell temps to see how the new fan modification is working.

I've ordered an Incuview with the older style grille that should not restrict airflow like the more recent ones, as per the reports of some of the very knowledgeable posters here. It will be my 1st attempt at incubator hatching...I had a "disabled" BO hatch out 5 chicks last year, from our own eggs ( about 50% hatch rate) but am really looking forward to hatching and raising some in an incubator from our own eggs. I know ,Happy Dad, you said this was not for a total newbie, but I've had chickens for 3 years now and have a lot of "book learning" and...you gotta start somewhere, right?

Acornewell, Hope your hatch is better this time, hope to hear a good report from you, please keep us posted.

I've ordered an Incuview with the older style grille that should not restrict airflow like the more recent ones, as per the reports of some of the very knowledgeable posters here. It will be my 1st attempt at incubator hatching...I had a "disabled" BO hatch out 5 chicks last year, from our own eggs ( about 50% hatch rate) but am really looking forward to hatching and raising some in an incubator from our own eggs. I know ,Happy Dad, you said this was not for a total newbie, but I've had chickens for 3 years now and have a lot of "book learning" and...you gotta start somewhere, right?

Acornewell, Hope your hatch is better this time, hope to hear a good report from you, please keep us posted.

Happy Dad, am anxious to see how the fan modification works, if the temperature is more even with the different grille.

We recently finished our first hatch out of the Incuview incubator and are happy with the results. This was our first experience incubating, but had read a lot about it before starting. We have prior experience raising day old chickens and quail. Our Incuview was very easy to operate and it maintained the humidity level and temperature very well. There was about a one degree (lower) difference directly below the fan compared to near the walls of the incubator. We left the temperature probe for the thermostat extended just to the side of the fan about 1 inch. Our unit came with the mesh style fan guard, which we left on for the duration and had no noticeable problems. The eggs used for hatching were Bobwhite quail, shipped from AV Birds in Lancaster, CA. We began with 25 eggs. Of those eggs, 4 appeared to be infertile and never developed. 2 others quit between day 8 and day 16. 19 eggs went into lockdown looking good. We then had all 19 eggs hatch within 25 hours from first to last. There were no problems with shrink wrapping or any other developmental problems with the chicks. They will be a week old tomorrow and all are doing just fine in their brooder. The clear cover allowed us to watch all the action, and it was quite fun and amazing. Our 3 year old daughter loved watching the chicks come out of their shells.I would recommend the Incuview to anyone looking for a low maintenance and reliable incubator. I have some adult Bobwhite quail pairs that have just started laying. I am going to collect eggs for a week and set them somewhere around the 16th/17th of February. That will give me enough time to hatch them out and be ready to set a load of our own chicken eggs by March 14th for the Easter hatch along.

I left the plug out for the entire incubation. I had no problem keeping the humidity up so I figured I'd just leave it out to make sure enough air was getting changed.

I added a bit of water around 7 this morning, and it went up to in between the incubation and hatching, that little black space. I just checked it now and it was almost down to add water again.

Is this amount of fluctuation normal? and okay?

My plug is out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom