India Blue/Purple Peafowl?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Does anyone know what this cross would look like? 4/6 of my peafowl eggs are IB/Purple, so I was curious. (I told you I was really really excited about this, too bad I have like 3 years to wait.. LOL). The other 2 eggs are just pure IB.

I would appreciate any input, especially(!!) pictures.

Edited to add: I researched the whole thing on how Purple was a sexlinked color, so as long as the females who laid my eggs were Purple covered with an IB cock, any females to hatch from this clutch would be 100% purple. So my question is, how in the world do they get Purple cocks? It says you have to breed Purple to Purple to get Purple cocks, but according to the sexlinked trait, you cannot have Purple cocks.... LOL

-Kim

Last edited:
A Purple hen will have a reddish or rusty brown appearance, the head will be darker and there will be purple iridescence on her head and neck. The sex-linked colors of Purple, Cameo, and Peach tend to sun bleach in the summertime. Also the evening light will tend to make any of the birds appear to have an orange tint as in this first pic of my Purple Sweepea hen.
IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_8115.JPG

Hi, new member, but I’ve been coming here for a couple of years and have learned so much.
Last summer I hatched five pea babies and two of them look a lot like that top picture. I will try to post a picture and maybe you guys can tell me what I got. I was really hoping for purple but have not found many pictures.
D5F707D9-6145-4BE7-B1A7-3D3C794DE875.jpeg

Hi, new member, but I’ve been coming here for a couple of years and have learned so much.
Last summer I hatched five pea babies and two of them look a lot like that top picture. I will try to post a picture and maybe you guys can tell me what I got. I was really hoping for purple but have not found many pictures. View attachment 2013146
Both are hens, the lighting does not allow me to say what color although they look IB in this pic. Look for purple or green color on the back of the neck in daylight.

Some of the males of the cross will be split to purple but will look like an indian blue, so you cross them back to either their mother or another purple hen and you should get some purple males.

Its pretty simple when you think about it, females only need 1 purple gene to be purple while males need 2 to display the colour.
So assuming your purple hen only has 1 purple gene(lets call it p) and 1 indian blue gene(if she is from a purely purple line she could have 2 p genes I think) and the male is a purebred indian blue with 2 blue genes(lets call the blue gene bl) and is not a split(1 purple and 1 blue) so 50% of the chicks will have both a blue and a purple gene but only the hens will display that colour while males will just be split and look like the other 50% which have 2 blue genes.

pbl henXblbl male = 50% pbl chicks(hens will display p males be visual bl) and 50%blbl chicks
pbl henXpbl male = 25% pp chicks(both genders will display p), 50% pbl(again only females display p, males bl) and 25% blbl
pp henXblbl male = 100% pbl chicks, so all will be split only hens be visual p and males visual bl
pp henXpbl male = 50% pp chicks(males and females purple) and 50%pbl(females display p, males visual bl)

As for telling which males are split, I don't think there are any visual clues you would have to test breed.....

I hope this helped, I think thats how it works.... I must be honest genetics never was my strong point although I am getting the hang of it.

So anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Anna

Last edited:
Okay, cool. That makes since. When the site said when you breed any other color male to the purple females will only produce 100% purple females but not purple males, they were excluding the split males.

So as long as I get cocks and hens out of my 4 IB/purple eggs, I can breed those together and eventually have some purple cocks, correct? Because that would be breeding Purple females to IB/Purple males.

I really appreciate it. I am very new to peafowl, so their genetics are all very, very new to me. I was not expecting to be able to afford some and a friend surprised me with a half dozen. *does a little happy dance and grins*

-Kim

There is a good chance that, if you have a visually blue male in the bunch that he may be split and will produce purples, but there is also a chance that he wont be split thus you will only get more purple hens and split or purebred blue males. Only several test breedings will help determine if he is split or not.

Maybe the blue male of the person you got them from is a Split and he/she didn't even know it and you have a good chance of getting purples in both genders. Or if the hen who layed the eggs is a purple hen split to blue(pbl) or a purebred purple(pp), if she is a pbl you get both normal blue and split males, if she is pp then you only get split males.

A lot of this stuff depends on what the genetic background of the parents is. I find it amazing when you visit a good breeder who knows what each and every one of his birds is split to and what their parents were split to and thus can make very reliable predictions as to what colours the babies will be. But it varies from colour to colour too I think.

Anna

IB male x Purple female= 100% Blue looking chicks. All sons will be blue split purple.

You've got it switched around. Purple male x Blue female= all daughters purple and all sons blue split purple.

If the Blue father was split for Purple(and bred with a Purple hen)= half of the daughters will be Purple, half Blue and half of the sons will be Purple, the other half of boys will be Blue split for Purple.

Blues split for purple look exactly like any other blues btw.

I asked her what color the cock was and she replied Purple. So we'll call my 4 IB/Purple F1.

So with my F1 being a Purple cock over India Blue females. What are the percentages of color and sex?

If I get both males and females in my F1 and were to breed them to eachother. What would be the percentages of color in my F2?

-Kim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom