Indian fantails and American fantails what's the difference(also need info on caring for pigeons)

So I'm guessing as long as I have one bird and I let one free fly it will definitely return... eh... I have the crested NY flying flights, the female has a light buff head and neck, then her body is white with very lightly colored buff bars on her wings, they are both crested. The male has the same pattern except he has chocolate brown on his head,neck and bars, while his body is a lighter Brown. I'll have to post pictures when I get my camera working

So I'm guessing as long as I have one bird and I let one free fly it will definitely return... eh...
I find if you release the bird as you described you have a better chance of it returning. Also if you take feed away from your bird for 12 hours before you release it also gives you extra leverage for a safe return to the loft.

Oh Ok, I'll wait a week though so they can get use to their home first

I own flying flights and they're great flying birds out pacing and manuvering easily all but peragrines and those barely. yes plain or "capped" as called in the breed specially for some reason, n pearl white eyes,talon like claws n slim pointed sharp red clear cere/beak with white tip,and five flight feathers. show types of breed domestic flight or other forget name-more "cobbly" (compact and squatted), and have ten flight feathers on each side. simplist way to describe them to simplest breeds are: eat n everything else like roller even good cock birds clap and flip when take off occasionally. they were bred from tumblers, show birds and racing homers, so perfect mix in somes eyes and great choice owning! NYC mostly outta brooklyn new york city, florida n Arizona maybe California nowadays. they are extremely adaptable and take tight fit close large groups good, doing best n showing of awsomely in large swarms of dozen to hundred, like aireal school of fish in manuvering tightly. truly something to look up! It group of dozen or more they can and have seen them swarm and chase hawks, something pigeons seen personally done only otherwise in my Flying Oriental Rollers (one up for showy flier that can evade easily and perfom great in hawk territories as having multiple raptor/B.O.P. nests in back yard and area, and never lost either to, though some of both to tornadoes..

Awesome... my neighbor has a gun, he practices shooting targets so when they get home I'll have to talk to them about the pigeons before letting them out. Also the guy I got them from said, that the pigeons may just get lost if I let them out. And I'm kinda afraid that they might get hit by a car or something

Oh Ok, I'll wait a week though so they can get use to their home first
One thing a lot of pigeon fancier have learned the hard way I am just about sure. Never release a bird that you are not prepared to loose. Try to protect your best breeders as much as possible. Squabs and yearlings are more expendable you will learn as time goes on.

Last edited:
So I'm guessing as long as I have one bird and I let one free fly it will definitely return.
Another good policy before releasing any bird is let them view their surroundings from a wire cage or aviary for a week or so. I also let my new birds train to go through a trapping system back into their loft before they are released. There are a lot of trapping systems out there run a search to view some to see what may be the best for your needs.

Check out the links:

Last edited:
One thing a lot of pigeon fancier have learned the hard way I am just about sure. Never release a bird that you are not prepared to loose. Try to protect your best breeders as much as possible. Squabs and yearlings are more expendable you will learn as time goes on.

Another good policy before releasing any bird is let them view their surroundings from a wire cage or aviary for a week or so.  I also let my new birds train to go through a trapping system back into their loft before they are released. There are a lot of trapping systems out there run a search to view some to see what may be the best for your needs.

Check out the links:

I just got a giant dog crate that I call my 'flight pen' until I get mine completely built. So that should help, I'm keeping them inside because the door on my shed is so big I'm afraid that when I open it they'll fly out and I'll never see them again. Right now I have them in the crate with a pan of water and a few roosts(sticks). They seem to like, well the male does the female doesn't seem too care much. They still aren't very tame, I mean you can go near them but it's not like they'll perch on your hand by choice. So I try to handle them daily. I reach in and pet them, the male seems a lot more tame than the female. The male will just sit there while I pet him while the female backs up to the end of the cage trying to get away.

They still aren't very tame, I mean you can go near them but it's not like they'll perch on your hand by choice. So I try to handle them daily. I reach in and pet them, the male seems a lot more tame than the female. The male will just sit there while I pet him while the female backs up to the end of the cage trying to get away.
Hand feed your pigeons shelled peanuts as a treat only. In time you will have them flying to you on command. Works for me (with a good deal of patience).

I'm not the most patient person, but I do try. My pigeons won't eat from my hands yet but I'm hoping it'll happen soon

Back
Top Bottom