Indian Food - Anybody else love the stuff?

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Okay, I want to join in the randomosity of this section of BYC, sooo....

Anybody else love... and I mean LOVE Indian food?

(I never use this smiley, but need to now)

love.gif

love.gif

love.gif

We (the wife and I) are suckers for a good chicken makhani (butter chicken) which is more of a Europeanized Indian food, but we really love it.

While makhani is our favorite, we really like it all.

We've tried so many different packets, bottles, frozen entrees, etc. but have never been able to duplicate the taste we get at restaurants. I'm about || close to posting an ad on Craigslist for an expert Indian cook to come to our house and show us the magic.

The one thing that we make that turn out well, and is terribly easy is a packet where you simply add chicken, oil and rice. Here it is for anybody that wants to try it:

"MTR Puliyogare Powder"
http://www.myethnicworld.com/c-555-indian-instant-mixes.aspx?pagenum=3

Another packet we've tried are the ones from Parampara mixes. We've tried a few (including the butter chicken mix) and while they are pretty good, they still aren't as good as we want.

So, if you love Love LOVE Inian food, please share what you've tried and what you like. Any packats or sauces work well for you? Please share!

Oh, and one last thing: My first foray into Indian food wasn't really Indian... it was "West Indies" food made by a family in Boston. The wife was from Saint Vincent and the husband from Guyana? They introduced me to "roti" and "dal". The dal was filled with a dried split pea and was AMAZING. I've yet to find any restaurant that even comes close. Are there "West Indies" restaurants? Do you think this type of food would be "Carribean"?

Naan bread is on top of the list for all time favorite foods if that counts.
I have a great "mock" tandoori chicken recipe somewhere that the whole family loved. I do not have the equipment to make the authentic, but I have enjoyed it in restaurants
smile.png

yes, and we get the authentic deal. we work with many Eastern Indian people and they are always making us something delicious or sharing recipes. they know all the best restaurants.

so far there hasn't been one dish i haven't loved and this is going on 16 years now. but aloo gobi is probably one of my faves. also butter chicken.

i have had that mix and it's good, but when the older 'aunties' at work make the real deals for us, it's unbelievable. there is no samosa like a real samosa!

Good stuff! I miss eating at the Krishna temple restaurant in Laguna Beach, CA. Oh, I'd pay some good money for a plate of authentic Saag Aloo and Saffron Rice! I can make a pretty good curry, but my Saag is never the same!

love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
oh yes!! And Chicken Makhani is our favorite too! Chicken korma is good too. I bought these 2 packets once, similar to what you described. They were OK... but I substituted 1/2 of the water for half and half.. and when it was done.. I added 1/4 stick of butter. and some more garam masala.

I just love Indian food and could eat it every day.

For Naan... we sometimes just use flour tortillas, fold them in half, and melt mozzerella cheese in them.

We just had Indian food last week!

I have a Makhani recipe that is pretty good!

I will find it

Back
Top Bottom