Indianrunner123

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2018
I have 2 indian runner ducks and 1 of them started laying on the 19th of Febuary. She only layed 3 eggs (one aday) and then stopped.

However she hasnt made a nest. She seemed to just lay them everywhere. Although each night she sits in a nesting box but i really dont think she knows what it is for.

I only got these 2 ducks and a drake in December and so i dont know if this is their first time hatching. I was told however that Indian runners do not go broody like other ducks and so they lay their eggs everywhere and due to their shape they cannot sit on their eggs and keep them warm, is this true?

To be honest im worried that my indian runners are not smart enough to know about being broody and having ducklings haha.

I took each egg and put them into an incubator, but left the third egg in her neting box to see if she would continue to lay (she didnt). She has stopped laying for the past week and a half.

They are getting fed a mixture of wheat and turkey meal that needs used up. I started feeding layers a couple of days ago with their mixture but i dont know if itll do much good.

How can i get them to start laying again?

The eggs in the incubator (12 days on):
2 of the 3 eggs seem to be totally clear and with nothing in them. However the third egg is half browny/black and you can see veins. Although i really dont think these eggs are fertil as i havnt seen the drake mating with any of the ducks.

How do i know when duck eggs are fertil?

Thanks

I have 2 indian runner ducks and 1 of them started laying on the 19th of Febuary. She only layed 3 eggs (one aday) and then stopped.

However she hasnt made a nest. She seemed to just lay them everywhere. Although each night she sits in a nesting box but i really dont think she knows what it is for.

I only got these 2 ducks and a drake in December and so i dont know if this is their first time hatching. I was told however that Indian runners do not go broody like other ducks and so they lay their eggs everywhere and due to their shape they cannot sit on their eggs and keep them warm, is this true?

To be honest im worried that my indian runners are not smart enough to know about being broody and having ducklings haha.

I took each egg and put them into an incubator, but left the third egg in her neting box to see if she would continue to lay (she didnt). She has stopped laying for the past week and a half.

They are getting fed a mixture of wheat and turkey meal that needs used up. I started feeding layers a couple of days ago with their mixture but i dont know if itll do much good.

How can i get them to start laying again?

The eggs in the incubator (12 days on):
2 of the 3 eggs seem to be totally clear and with nothing in them. However the third egg is half browny/black and you can see veins. Although i really dont think these eggs are fertil as i havnt seen the drake mating with any of the ducks.

How do i know when duck eggs are fertil?

Thanks
If veins are forming then it is fertilized

Back
Top Bottom