Indian Runner Ducks Trying Motherhood

I have an Indian Runner siting on her nest periodically. Definitely not like a hen. It's only periodically. When I collect the eggs, they are never really warm. Interesting how they bury them under some straw, very different from broody chickens.

I had an Indian runner set on 20 eggs and only one hatched. 7 others made it through the membrane but not through the shell. I wish I'd have broken the shells enough to let air in so they could have lived. But I know now what to expect and how to tell they are in trouble. Next time I'll take them and put them in the incubator.... I do have a question... The parents won't take her and the drakes actually tried to kill her/him.. anyway, anyone know where to get duck diapers? Peepers will be in the house till she can safely be integrated into the flock. Ideas??

Last edited:
I had an Indian runner set on 20 eggs and only one hatched. 7 others made it through the membrane but not through the shell. I wish I'd have broken the shells enough to let air in so they could have lived. But I know now what to expect and how to tell they are in trouble. Next time I'll take them and put them in the incubator.... I do have a question... The parents won't take her and the drakes actually tried to kill her/him.. anyway, anyone know where to get duck diapers? Peepers will be in the house till she can safely be integrated into the flock. Ideas??
Someone here sells them. Try a google search. I will try to find a link.

"Originally Posted by DuckLover179

Nettie here on BYC make poultry diapers (Including geese), so you can order them at: www.indoorducks.com
I'm gonna order mine soon!
wink.png
"

Was it her first batch? We had to the same experience.
Right afterwards she stole another mommas eggs, so she sat for 60 days!!!
She did raise three successfully to adulthood. That being said, a few were smothered. We then took eggs after they started to peep.
Now we have a lot of indian runners;)

Back
Top Bottom