Indian Runner Girls

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
so today I went to the feed store and saw a sign up for Runners, so I called. I wasn't sold on the Muscovies completely.

So I went out and got two females. I haven't named them yet. The only way I can tell them apart is the little bit of green on their bills are different. They are quite vocal, quacked at me all the way home.

I may get another peking down the road but it was to soon and it would remind me of Sunny.

We got home and everyone was pretty excited. I didn't do a quarantine because I thought I read that they don't carry diseases like chickens would and I hope that is correct.

I originally was going to leave them in their cage for introductions, but decided to let them out. Everyone got along immediately. Very different then my integrating chicken experience.

I find they are a blast to watch. There is quacking
in the yard and both Lucy and Ricky are moving around and acting happy again. I took down one pool and put up a baby pool I had for a couple more weeks. They had a blast. They ate some food and some greens I tossed out there almost immediately. It feels like they were always here.

They were born 7-20 and I haven't named them yet, but I was thinking Reba and Dolly(I like country music)

Here they are
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Congrats, they're very pretty :)

We got home and everyone was pretty excited. I didn't do a quarantine because I thought I read that they don't carry diseases like chickens would and I hope that is correct.

That's not entirely correct. While ducks aren't affected by a lot of the diseases that affect chickens, they definitely can carry diseases. For instance, they can have and carry mycoplasma, which affects most species of birds. They can also carry duck viral enteritis, AKA the duck plague. There are other diseases they can carry too, and of course they can also be carrying parasites like worms and mites.

Not trying to scare you, just letting you know for the future :) Hopefully these two are healthy and disease free and don't carry anything.

Last edited:
Very pretty and happy birds! i love your coop and i like the new color!

Were sorry about sunny and understand but i love pekins i think their my favorite! in the same way vanilla is my favoritw

Congrats, they're very pretty :)

That's not entirely correct. While ducks aren't affected by a lot of the diseases that affect chickens, they definitely can carry diseases. For instance, they can have and carry mycoplasma, which affects most species of birds. They can also carry duck viral enteritis, AKA the duck plague. There are other diseases they can carry too, and of course they can also be carrying parasites like worms and mites.

Not trying to scare you, just letting you know for the future :) Hopefully these two are healthy and disease free and don't carry anything.

Me to. The poop is good and they are eating and drinking good. I will keep my eye in them. They come from a family of 10. The property itself was absolutely gorgeous and well kept as all the snimals were. I don't get to see million dollar properties up close--I was blown away. So I'm hoping that my gut is right on this one.

They haven't been quiet yet. They quack, the rooster crows, they quack louder, the roosters crows louder--my yard is pretty loud right now.

Back
Top Bottom