indian runner question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by metallica fish, Jun 9, 2010.

1. metallica fish

metallica fish New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    i have 1 indian runner that i hatched about 3 weeks ago. is there a way of telling the sex of it by its tweet when its so young?

cos i belive that drakes cant realy quack? am i right?

cheers
    liam

2. Bryanccfshr

Bryanccfshr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    My 4 week olds are starting to change voices. Hard to tell just yet.

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    My Indian Runner duck's voice didn't change until she was 7 weeks old. She was hoarse and raspy like a boy, and all the other girls (Campbells and Hookbills) had been quacking since they were about 4 weeks old, so she had me fooled! I was calling her "Milo" thinking she was a boy, and then one day I was talking to her and she looked at me and said "QUACK!" - so, now she's "Maisie", and she's the proud mamma of 6 new ducklings this morning! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  4. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Annarie - that was good to hear. My Runners are 6 1/2 weeks and still making little whistling noises. I had thought my ducklings in the past had 'found their voices' faster than this.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mine started honking at about three or four weeks. It was closer to six weeks that I heard a quack. But they mostly don't really quack. They hum, chatter, chuckle, and laugh like The Penguin in the old Batman TV series.

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    You know, I swear I heard my other Runner, "Rubee", start honking at around 4 weeks, and I had it all set in my mind that Rubee was a girl, and then at around 7 weeks I realized that his voice had gone all raspy and that he was, in fact, a drake! He's the proud daddy of 6 new ducklings as of this morning. [​IMG]

That's why I don't trust voice sexing until around 6 weeks. I always think I'm hearing things earlier than that, but I don't trust it anymore. Ducks sure do make some funny noises. [​IMG]

So, metallica fish, give it a few more weeks, and then you should be able to sex your duckling by voice - 3 weeks is a bit early yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have 6 runner ducks. As of yesterday they were 5 weeks old. I have one that quacks for sure. Today I could swear I heard 3 quacks!!! I have not had any luck with straight run at all. This is my first try at ducks. I did take an attempt at vent sexing my runners. From what I could see (or not see) I have 5 girls 1 boy. I hope this is true. I'd be just as happy with all girls! I do have chickens and always ended up with all roosters too 1 or 2 hens. Not good.

I have to say ducks are pretty darn cool. I thought chickens were neat........ lol. I didn't realize how different the two types of bird are. I have to say one thing....... darn, ducks grow fast!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by