Indian Runner VS Khaki Campbells

Having trouble deciding which breeds to add to my flock. I’m raising mostly for eggs and possibly to hatch more off and sell some eventually. Just wanting to get some opinions. This is my options I believe, 12 Indian Runner ducklings, 12 khaki Campbells ducklings, or 4 khaki Campbell females and a straight run of 8 Indian runners. Any input would be appreciated
I now have a pretty strong opinion about this. We've had khakis for years now. Great layers. As the hood got thinned by an unknown predator we decided to get some Indian runners just for diversity and because it was novel. Big mistake. Indian runners are noisy and squawk constantly especially in the morning when they want food. I live in an urban area and I'm sure the neighbors hate me even more. But more importantly....egg laying. Khakis are better layers ...well in fact, I'm not even sure these Indian runners will lay at all. 8 month old and still not an egg. The new khakis we got were already laying for 2 months but unfortunately also succumbed to a predator. Now we only have an old khaki who doesn't lay anymore and two worthless , squawking noisy, pains in my rear. yes, they are pretty....so what. And if you want them to not be skiddish around you, I believe you have to handle them regularly as they are growing without lapses of time between holding them. They grow SO fast and a day in their life is like a month in yours. If you don't handle them regularly they will be fine with cuddling while young but then forget who you even are after a few days of not handling them. Good luck.

I only have runners and I love them. I keep a spreadsheet of egg-laying. Last year I got 1597 eggs from my 6 girls. I had a couple that were having egg-bound issues so their laying was off. I continued to get eggs all fall and winter although production did slow down. I never had to buy any eggs all year and gave some away and sold lots too.

I now have a pretty strong opinion about this. We've had khakis for years now. Great layers. As the hood got thinned by an unknown predator we decided to get some Indian runners just for diversity and because it was novel. Big mistake. Indian runners are noisy and squawk constantly especially in the morning when they want food. I live in an urban area and I'm sure the neighbors hate me even more. But more importantly....egg laying. Khakis are better layers ...well in fact, I'm not even sure these Indian runners will lay at all. 8 month old and still not an egg. The new khakis we got were already laying for 2 months but unfortunately also succumbed to a predator. Now we only have an old khaki who doesn't lay anymore and two worthless , squawking noisy, pains in my rear. yes, they are pretty....so what. And if you want them to not be skiddish around you, I believe you have to handle them regularly as they are growing without lapses of time between holding them. They grow SO fast and a day in their life is like a month in yours. If you don't handle them regularly they will be fine with cuddling while young but then forget who you even are after a few days of not handling them. Good luck.
I am sorry for your losses, and also sorry you haven't had a good experience with your Runners. Thankfully that isn't the norm on egg laying. I have had Indian Runners since 2016 and can vouch for their egg laying ability. My 3 youngest hatched in 2019 didn't start laying as young they were 8 months and 6 months but they are steady now. My oldest haven't started back up yet. Yes they are defiantly chatting an probably aren't good for urban situations. Thankfully we have no close neighbors. But after living with my very quiet Muscovy since I started with them in 2004 I truly enjoy hearing my Runners and Buffs talking to each other. They are a hoot.

I now have a pretty strong opinion about this. We've had khakis for years now. Great layers. As the hood got thinned by an unknown predator we decided to get some Indian runners just for diversity and because it was novel. Big mistake. Indian runners are noisy and squawk constantly especially in the morning when they want food. I live in an urban area and I'm sure the neighbors hate me even more. But more importantly....egg laying. Khakis are better layers ...well in fact, I'm not even sure these Indian runners will lay at all. 8 month old and still not an egg. The new khakis we got were already laying for 2 months but unfortunately also succumbed to a predator.. yes, th Now we only have an old khaki who doesn't lay anymore and two worthless , squawking noisy, pains in my rear yes are pretty....so what. And if you want them to not be skiddish around you, I believe you have to handle them regularly as they are growing without lapses of time between holding them. They grow SO fast and a day in their life is like a month in yours. If you don't handle them regularly they will be fine with cuddling while young but then forget who you even are after a few days of not handling them. Good luck.

Doesn't sound like ducks are the best fit for you. :(

All ducks are going to quack to an extent, I only have good things to say about the Runners's i've had in the past.

Back
Top Bottom