Indian Runners not laying

Jennifer Cattel

Chirping
Aug 29, 2017
I have three Indian runner girls just over a year old. Over the last few months they will randomly lay one or two eggs. I haven’t had all of them laying in months. One of my girls sits on an empty nest all day (I left an egg in there to help but that didn’t seem to change anything). They don’t seem to be molting any longer. Sometimes two will lay in there squeezing next to each other but still nothing. I am going to make three nesting boxes today thinking maybe that will help but I am so confused as to why they are just randomly laying. They free roam our farm but they don’t go far. I haven’t found any eggs just dropped either. We do have lots of goat babies running around and I wonder if stress is what is causing the non-laying. Any thoughts? Any tips on how I can help the girls feel more relaxed to lay?

Thanks Jenn

One thing about Runners is they don't like stress. I have 5 and 4 are females. I have to let them out later than the rest in the morning so they lay in their house and not all over their half acre. Yesterday I found 3 eggs at different places outside and these girls are over 2yrs now. What time do you let them out in the morning? I am now up to 7:30 am to let mine out and I haven't been outside walking the property yet to see if any laid outside today. Do the baby goats and ducks share the same area? maybe if you can separate the 2 and see if that makes a difference.

I have three Indian runner girls just over a year old. Over the last few months they will randomly lay one or two eggs. I haven’t had all of them laying in months. One of my girls sits on an empty nest all day (I left an egg in there to help but that didn’t seem to change anything). They don’t seem to be molting any longer. Sometimes two will lay in there squeezing next to each other but still nothing. I am going to make three nesting boxes today thinking maybe that will help but I am so confused as to why they are just randomly laying. They free roam our farm but they don’t go far. I haven’t found any eggs just dropped either. We do have lots of goat babies running around and I wonder if stress is what is causing the non-laying. Any thoughts? Any tips on how I can help the girls feel more relaxed to lay?

Thanks Jenn
They sound stressed to me. I have lots of different types of birds and I know when there stressed they lay in more hidden places and sometimes don't lay at all. I think you should try to keep them away from the goats if possible and maybe give them some treats that they like. Do you think that they might be in an early stage of going broody?

I normally let them out between 6:30-7 every morning they are normally yacking and pacing to get out. My gut tells me they are stressed. The goats are in a separate pen and we have had the goats since I brought my girls home so they normally are used to all the goats. It’s just one baby goat that seems to get out of the goat pen no matter what we try. she is almost to big to get out so thinking soon everything will calm down
One might be broody (had to look that up). She is on her nest 24/7 except for a run to her pool and a drink. They get meal worms often as a treat. I tried just putting them in the fenced garden to relax since the baby goat can’t get in there but the one that sits on her nest all day gets upset not being able to get back to her nest it didn’t seem worth it. They don’t like being in a fence anymore. Think it stresses them more. My poor little girls.
Do you think a nesting box might help them feel like they are safer? Can I put the nesting box in the garden for day laying where there are no fear of animals getting in there?

So she is brooding on eggs or just broody asking because I have 2 Muscovy ducks that are brooding but I have taken their eggs away. I am not sure if they would use a nesting box in the open all my females prefer to lay inside in their shaving most of the time this laying out on the ground has just started back, which is normal for ducks when just starting to lay. If you put the nesting box in the garden with something over top that may work like a large plastic tote with a door cut into it. Or tucked up under a large bush

Last edited:
She defiantly sounds broody to me. My ducks normally prefer sitting in some straw on the ground rather then a nest box, but you could try and see if your ducks like it more. Putting them in the garden sounds like a good idea. Hope they feel better soon

She is sitting on an empty nest. If she lays I take the egg out and mess up the nest but she just goes back in and remakes it.
The nesting boxes will have a cover and two sides, leaving the bottom open with straw for easy cleaning. Maybe I will try and put one in the garden and two in their houses and see what happens.
They seems fine outside of the house, Napa, eating bathing etc. just the in/around house they seem stressed.

I have only ever had success with one duck breaking her brooding up that was getting rid of all her nesting shavings and adding new. When I tried that her next time didn't work so now they just go the distance and I just make sure they stay healthy while brooding.
What your wanting is for the ducks to begin laying again and where you can find them. Is that right?

Anything other than baby goats changed about their house? I find with ducks the slightest things can set them off. So maybe something changed in or around their house?

I am cleaning their house this wknd so that could help.
Really besides the one baby goat nothing else has changed.
I am pretty good about keeping routine and structure on the farm since all the animals expect the routines.
So think I might just change their bedding, add the nesting boxes to the garden and their house and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom