Indian Runners

When you say loud, do you mean like my neighbors would be able to hear it?

And is it constant or when they see or hear something?

Is it louder that a quite dog?

Will they become pet-like? I know it was stated that they are flighty but can i bond with them and make them less flighty?

Will my dog scare them? If he does will it make them more flighty?

How are they with chickens? I know you said you kept them with chickens but do they often try to mate with them or bite them?

old.gif
when i was little..... i don't remember

I will clarify.
smile.png

I use my ducks to integrate my younger chickens because:
1. They are sweet to the babys
2. They protect them from the roosters, but they don't attack them. They just stand between them and look at them.
I free range mine half the day and supplement with feed. I believe they prefer free ranging, they are very resourceful.
I've never seen my ducks try to bite or mate the others, however, the ducks were not raised with the chickens.
My ducks only vocalize when its breakfast time and time to go out.
I have a chihuahua that follows them around and they dont quack or spaz out, they just waddle away.
I did not spend as much time with my ducks as i usually do, so they dont run up to me, but they will let me catch them without a fuss. I bet they can be pet like.
Also they don't fly...mine don't even try. I have 4 ft high fence and the've never gotten out, or tried to. I hope that helps.
Oh also, you should at least get 2. They will get lonely even with chickens.

Quote:
Runners are forgers.... they prefer bugs and grubs and whatever else they can find in nature. I was told to just let them be, offer them food if you will... but long as they can roam and forge they most likely won't take it.

I was also told they don't do well be cooped up and need a good amount of space. One lady (whom only had drakes left when I wanted to finally go purchase some) would only sell them to people who'd let them free range or had a very large fenced property where they could roam. She never had to buy feed for hers, they didn't want it.

Does that mean i couldn't keep them in a backyard? I was thinking 15 ft a bird. Would that be enough?

And i still need to know how loud they are. Will neighbors inside be able to hear?

Go to YouTube & google ducks & you can see - and hear - some videos of them, which will give you an idea of how loud they are.
Yes, they can be LOUD. Yes, louder than a quiet dog. Yes, they will fuss & carry on when they think they perceive danger.

Quote:
Well, the males will not be a problem at all, they are quiet. My females all do a Waaaaaaaaaaaack Waack Waaaaaaak when they see me coming out to the barn to feed them.

I am not a good judge because I have like 5 or 6 female calls out there too and those little ladies are LOUD! Like constantly loud. The runners seem to use the waak waak as a greeting or a complaint as opposed to constant chatter.

I don't know if that helped or not? They will quack, but not at night unless something is bothering them, and once I feed mine in the Am they all pipe down until late afternoon. For the runners it is like a 2x a day thing.

Well it helped but it was really a yes or no question
big_smile.png
Thanks!

I just need to know if the neighbors will hear them inside and if a dog barking will make them terrified?

If i feed them choice and just leave it there will they still quack 2x a day or just when something happens?

Quote:
Well I can tell you that two of my dogs on the other side of the fence woudl happily eat those ducks and none of them pay them any attention. SO I don't think dog barking would bother them. your neighbors will hear them, from inside. My barn and pens are like 200 feet away and I can hear my calls - but not the runners. The calls might just be drowning out the soudn of them?? I dunno - they are gonna quack and be loud a little bit at the very least so if your neighbors are testy - only one female and one male to start out with.

Have you looked into mandarin ducks? They have the coolest whistle sound - it is very soft too. No neighbor would complain about mandarins.

Check out Acorn Hollow Bantams - http://www.acornhollowbantams.com/ He really knows his stuff and I got 2 pairs of mandarins from him last month. His site has a LOT of good info too.

I was told they don't make good pets and that is why i want them

So, mandarins would not work for me

If my neighbors where doing something in the day or if my dog came out would they quack really loud? I just wonder because i would love a pair and they are so cool looking

Has anyone kept them in a suburban area with success?

wee.gif
thanks everyone
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom