INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    So good to hear your hen is doing better!
    Ugh roosters! Stop him. Now. Roosters will be a guardian to your hens within their ability. No match for most predators, but sounds an alarm.
    Most roos quickly herd/call their ladies to the coop if something isn't right. They will defend and protect the hens, many are taken and killed by predators..
    Teach the kiddos and family to toe him in the chest. firmly toe and push. Not to injure him, but firm! (almost a soccer punt but not a goal, lol)
    Enough to move him away. Keep repeating until he leaves/backs off, Another option is to embarrass him.
    If he is small, pick him up, Hold him firm, until he stops struggling. Big roos, Pin to the ground.on his back even if possible.
    I have body slammed my big gander, big boy no kidding, I am real small but I wont let a bird intimidate me.
    Some roos will not learn.so be prepared that he may be going to the freezer. They are saying to you that THEY are the boss.
    Since the flock follows you, he is trying to control his flock and your family is included.
    Every family member that's old enough must teach him otherwise. If everyone follows the same practice to stop him, he will learn humans are well above his pecking order.

They are just beautiful little ladies [​IMG] I am a noob on colors & gene patterns too.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] and our thread [​IMG]
    Layers, Australorp holds the world record.

4. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Welcome Thunder Chicken. Love your name! Are you nest boxes ready? You have a fake egg or golf ball in them? Your leghorns should lay soon, we got our leghorns and sex-links on Feb 28th. Leghorns started laying on June 20th.

And yes, this thread moves quickly!

5. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    So to preface this I have never incubated anything but chicken eggs. I have a duck egg that should have hatched yesterday, but nothing. So very frustrated right now. I've been trying to keep the humidity up, and when I last added water I must say that I did candle the egg and it appeared to being moving inside, but I did not see any internal pip. Any advice from those of you that have incubated duck eggs before!?!

Thank you

6. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Rockville, Indiana
    My oldest daughter just won Champion in the feather-legged bantam class with her Buff Cochin rooster at the Parke County Fair! Very proud of her. About 14 or 15 in the class. Wish I had room to hatch some more eggs, but my coop and cages are full :(

She also won Grand Champion with her Barred Rock eggs. We never had an egg class when I was in 4-H.

...on another note, I entered my honey in the open class and got my first Grand Champion in open showing. My 10th year in 4-H was in 1991, so it's been a while since I have showed anything.

Sold our barrows at the 4-H auction last night...a real tear jerker for the girls, esp. my oldest. Felt bad for her but its another deposit into the college fund.

Just rambling to get up to 20 posts so I can bid on the egg auction....

7. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Rockville, Indiana
    Quote:Cool name....figured you for a turkey guy.

8. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Welcome from east central Indiana!

9. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    My second year of owning chickens is today and a birthday for 7 hens :) ( actually there was 24 but I gave 13 to my friend and then 3 of mine died to a predator and another one died from hypothermia because she went broody in the middle of winter :(
    Today they are going to have some delicious treats and free range with my protection ( been seeing tons of hawks lately not going to risk it)

2 people like this.
  10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Well... more than 3000 posts since I've been on here. [​IMG] (I don't think I'll try to catch up...[​IMG] wish I could get a "readers digest" version... )

I have begun to mix my own feed for various reasons. As part of that, I got a bag of Fertrell, Organic Poultry Nutribalancer (mineral mix). I wasn't able to get a partial bag so I had to get the whole 60 lb bag. That's enough to mix a TON of feed so, needless to say, I won't go through all that for quite some time!

Just wanted to see if anyone might want to purchase some of my bag. I'd figure the cost per lb. and price it that way if anyone wants some.

I'm in Northern Indiana near South Bend, Elkhart, Mishawaka, etc.

If anyone is interested, send me a pm :D

PS: I have a spreadsheet that will figure how much you need to put into any size batch of feed you might be making.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by