INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    UGH I know. I get those calls and messages when I sell chicks. If someone takes the time to be courteous, I will always reply.

All breeds are special in their own way! I love the OEG bantams, they are just so sweet. there is just so many things to learn about the different breeds I cant get enough of it all [​IMG]

2. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Lots of different opinions on this...[​IMG] MHO... and I mean no disrespect to anyone.
    The best bio-security plan to have to protect the new birds coming in, as well as your main flock, is quarantine 30 days, or more if possible.
    My feeling is, if someone has taken the time to be on our forum and thread, in most cases they make every effort to have disease free healthy birds too..however ~
    Since my birds free range, and are foraging nonstop, I don't want to expose the new birds to mine. 30 days rules out "most" free range health problems.

Since both are going to be quarantined, ideally, yes separate them also if you have the room to do so.
    Realistically, I can't do it. No where else to put them all! If there's more than a few days difference, I am doing the mental "swapping" thing AKA chicken math to make room .
    That said, have I always done it? No, until the last couple months, with the number of birds I have hatched, swapped, sold and bought [​IMG]
    It's just asking for a disaster if you don't quarantine.
    I rarely let anyone come into my coops or my brooder room either. (Porch, breezeway, whatever [​IMG])
    If they wore those shoes at their house, and then visit mine.. where have those shoes been in between?
    Can you imagine what the feed stores may have lurking on their floors...[​IMG]

Lovely birds! [​IMG] Looks like a friendly,social "human" rooster, and the hen obviously likes him!

Go with what your heart tells you, but be honest with yourself too! I am so paranoid over my babies.
    If you feel the neighbors understand the caretaking of your critters, as it sounds you do, Then no worries.
    But, you had the question in your mind to begin with tells me you are concerned with your youngest chick's care.
    Guinea and silkie both seem to be strong chicks, I have never lost either to basic care babysitting issues.
    I always read the peachicks are fragile for several months, so they would be my main concern.
    The Peas, when I do finally get some, I won't be leaving their care with anyone but my DD.

Lovely [​IMG]
    that's terribly sad. I have seen many homes like that working animal control, right here in Indiana.

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
  4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG]Love their colors! They look like they are quite friendly too.
    I have the GLW, look totally different.

Love looking at the birds, post away [​IMG]

So good to hear things are going well, you sound so busy! How is your little one doing? didn't get a garden in this year, sure hope I can next spring.

They seem to want more attention from us if they are loved and fussed over. I just love them all!

5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I need more girls but ugh, way too many sebright roos now!

[​IMG] chicken math disease has hit you hard [​IMG] 6 more chicks and post in week!

Ugh i know, mine fly and perch. And they free range better than some of my Large Frame flock. I have 6, and all of them act like a "normal" chicken [​IMG]

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] Just writing out whats got you frustrated really helps. Even when you keep it private, sure makes you feel better.

WOW that is a striking color on the roo!

If you make a bachelor coop, they may coexist just fine. Roos in with hens will fight, its their nature. Its all in what coops and space you have to keep them.

7. animal-luvr92

animal-luvr92 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    lagrange co. indiana
    what are the laws and regulations in Milford for byc?

8. animal-luvr92

Apr 17, 2012
    lagrange co. indiana

9. animal-luvr92

Apr 17, 2012
    lagrange co. indiana

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    "Blushing" Its not me at all. All of us that talk on the thread help one another find the info we need to care for our babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by