INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    yes those island reds are also excellent layers. Orpingtons are good layers too but they don't beat the RIR. They have a sweet temperament though :). Not sure where you are located but I know of some RIR chicks for sale now in bargersville and I saw an ad for a place in Salem as well. Craigslist. Or of course you can still make a hatchery order. I like mcmurray.

2. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    thanks guys!

3. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I wonder what the deal is with the other eggs? :( i just bought some two week old chicks from a lady in bargersville. She had over ordered from the hatchery and had a ton of sexed chicks available. She's on the Indy Craigslist ad but if you like I can give you the number.

4. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Joined BYC last week and just found this thread. I am in SE Marion County and I have two white Leghorns and four red Sex-links the we got at TSC in early April. Hoping for eggs any day. I just wanted to introduce myself to this thread. I will try to keep up. [​IMG]

5. MillerBirds

MillerBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Indiana
    Welcome!! It is indeed hard to keep up with this thread. Good luck on your girls starting to lay. I also got in to chickens in April, but have since cheated and added older girls. They of course are laying and I know some of my younger girls are laying because my daily egg count is starting to creep up....just not sure who yet. Looking forward to hearing of your success. :)

6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    My daughter wants a girl one of these. I'm not caving in yet.
    I have 2 hatchery Barred Rock pullet chicks I can bring Sunday if you are interested.
    I was going to ask too.

Brad are you going to be at the Show in Oct? Maybe I could buy some chicks A Rhodebar boy and a BLRW girl (I'm close to caving).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I cant wait until the show in october. And I am definatley going to be buying some chickens. I am putting money back just to spend there lol!

1 person likes this.
  8. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    2" side up. 2x4's? That's a bit of overkill, huh. Now you can perch beside your chickens.[​IMG] On the other hand, anything worth doing is worth overdoing. [​IMG] If you have the tools and capability, you can resaw the 2x4's down to 2 2x2's and it will work fine.

I'm having fun with you. I haven't checked recently, but I expect an 8' 2x4 is not much more than an 8' 2x2. If you resaw it, you will have cheap 2x2's.

John

1 person likes this.
  9. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Rhode Island Red roosters are particularly aggressive. Mine needed to be kicked about weekly to keep it from attacking my ankles. Not good around children or soft hearted folks.

The hens, on the other hand, are good egg layers and docile.

John

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  10. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    Yay I found new homes for the 11chickens I'm getting rid of I'm trading them for 4-6 bantams lol I'm going to be starting a bantam flock ill upload pics of the chicken I'm getting silkies and mystery chickens :) I'm excited for Sunday cuz I'm having dinner at her house too :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by