INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Thanks you two! I like how this thread has a lot of helpful advice, even if we are not pros at backyard chickens.

2. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    I would think that this time of year, after they are 4 weeks, they should be alright. I am no expert, but if they are in a coop they should be fine. Less then 4 weeks, probably not ok.

3. Vigar49

Vigar49 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks for the information, I was thinking Rhode Island Reds and orpingtons. Have you heard anything about them?

4. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    White leghorns are laying machines also. 300 or so eggs/year.

5. Vigar49

Vigar49 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Rhode Island Reds?

6. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    For the second time, I have had CCL eggs in the incubator, and of 7 eggs I had one hatch. They develop until just before hatching, then don't make it. At least this time, I got a girl. [​IMG]
    So that leaves me with a single chick. Does anyone out there have any under 1 week old chicks? I need to find her at least one to hang with.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana

I used to have 14 RIRs and I dont think I ever got less then 11 eggs a day when they started laying regulary. I dont really know much about Orps. I dont have any because I dont really like them. All the Buff orps I had bad attitudes so I go rid of them. I know there are a lotof people that love tham and say they have great temperments, they just arent the breed for me. I dont know how well they lay, I didnt keep any long enough to find out, once agin not saying they are a bad breed I just dont care for them.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    O and another thing about RIRs, just something to keep in mind. The ones with rose combs dont get as frost bite as easy as the single combs do.

9. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Vigar- welcome. My RIR lays almost daily. As do my Easter eggers. I do have Buff orps and mine have been friendly and good layers. I also have a white leghorn, she was the first to lay from babies purchased this spring, she flighty but is now laying daily. I also have Banty RIR and they lay good too. Do you want to do large fowl or Bantys? Lots of info on BYC and I also have the " pickin chicken " app, which is fun to compare with.

10. MillerBirds

MillerBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Indiana
    Welcome!! I have both RIRs and Orpingtons. By far my opingtons are the greatest pets. We can pick them up and carry them all around the yard. The RIRs are also social...maybe a little more bossy to my other birds, but like to 'talk' and follow us around.
    My orpingtons consistently lay every other day. My RIRs are about every 3rd day. Now I got them all at a year+ so I cannot tell you about their early days.
    We are out with our birds every day. Talk to them. Give them treats. Watch them.

So a lot of their personality may have just developed from us as well. :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by