INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Today will wrap up the 9th and final day of our fair! It actually went by really fast. Like Indiana Dave our kids auctioned their animals (only 1 rabbit each) which helps add a small drop to the college fund. I'm really proud of the kids & their accomplishments this year -- hope you don't mind my bragging! Chloe (she'll be a freshman this coming year) won a 4-H Leadership Award, a 4-H Achievement Award and was the Champion in her division of Rabbit Illustrated Talk. She'll also be competing in Illustrated Talk contest this coming Friday at State Fair. Benji (7th grade) has his first ever sewing project (a duffle bag) and his rabbit poster going to State Fair. They both also won their division of Rabbit Ambassador competition, so we'll be heading down to Indy to State Fair this weekend for that as well. Gotta make some hotel reservations quick! We'd sure like to come to the get together on Sunday, but I'm not sure I'm up for a road trip tomorrow. I think we need to schedule a repeat event in northern Indiana next!!

1 person likes this.
  2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

So I have been talking to the Australians. They have a great Australorp page on FB. Trying to get to the bottom of the chocolate Australorp mystery for myself and Cluck. Apparently Chocolate, although unusual, is possible. So all I have to say is, take that all you nay sayers on the Australorp thread! Ha!! [​IMG]

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

I was thinking the same thing. :) There isn't any way I can go to tomorrow's get-together, unfortunately. Maybe next time!

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Congrats !!!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I hatch duck eggs, but do different breeds different ways. My daughters cayugs and my muscovy eggs eggs Go right in the incubator with the chickens eggs, but in lockdown they go in a different incubator then the chicken eggs, I mist them, and run humidity about 10 degrees higher. call ducks it is best to just let the hen hatch them,

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  6. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Welcome !!!

7. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Happy birthday hennies !!! and Happy anniversary on chicken ownership !!!!

8. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Lol, I thought of it because we used to call Ford Thunderbirds that when I was turning wrenches for a living.
    Congrats!!!
    Happy birthday to your chickens... and my wife. [​IMG] Congrats on the anniversary.

9. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I was thinking Rhodebar since it is a pretty bird and I already have RIR heritage birds. The BLRW would be great but I'm looking for the coloring similar to my old rooster or the chick in the last picture of those you already passed on. The darker pullets won't satisfy by little one's desire for a female buster. I know with eggs there is no promise, not even of getting 100% blues. I'll give it some great thought.
    feed is high. Bantams will eat less than a LF bird when compared to the same setting, ie the same amount of free range time, around the same kind of plants. Banty eggs are smaller but not super tiny. They are harder to sell. You have to weigh them to use them in recipes that call for large eggs. Banty's are easier for children to hold and such. Bantams are easier for hawks to grab same with many silkies.
    Misting and higher humbidity in lockdown. Also a touch lower temp in lockdown. some duck eggs take longer than the 28 days. There is a chart for the different duck breeds in the incubation learning area. It is near the bottom right side of the list.
    IF you lived closer, I would be interested in buying some of your already mixed up feed. You might be able to sell the ready to feed your chickens feed on CL easier than the mineral mix. I hope you get your money back. It does not sound like a super cheap item to buy.

10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Very true, feed costs have dropped some but yes, bantam should eat much less.

[​IMG] thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by