INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Today will wrap up the 9th and final day of our fair! It actually went by really fast. Like Indiana Dave our kids auctioned their animals (only 1 rabbit each) which helps add a small drop to the college fund. I'm really proud of the kids & their accomplishments this year -- hope you don't mind my bragging! Chloe (she'll be a freshman this coming year) won a 4-H Leadership Award, a 4-H Achievement Award and was the Champion in her division of Rabbit Illustrated Talk. She'll also be competing in Illustrated Talk contest this coming Friday at State Fair. Benji (7th grade) has his first ever sewing project (a duffle bag) and his rabbit poster going to State Fair. They both also won their division of Rabbit Ambassador competition, so we'll be heading down to Indy to State Fair this weekend for that as well. Gotta make some hotel reservations quick! We'd sure like to come to the get together on Sunday, but I'm not sure I'm up for a road trip tomorrow. I think we need to schedule a repeat event in northern Indiana next!!

So I have been talking to the Australians. They have a great Australorp page on FB. Trying to get to the bottom of the chocolate Australorp mystery for myself and Cluck. Apparently Chocolate, although unusual, is possible. So all I have to say is, take that all you nay sayers on the Australorp thread! Ha!!
tongue2.gif

My oldest daughter just won Champion in the feather-legged bantam class with her Buff Cochin rooster at the Parke County Fair! Very proud of her. About 14 or 15 in the class. Wish I had room to hatch some more eggs, but my coop and cages are full :( She also won Grand Champion with her Barred Rock eggs. We never had an egg class when I was in 4-H. ...on another note, I entered my honey in the open class and got my first Grand Champion in open showing. My 10th year in 4-H was in 1991, so it's been a while since I have showed anything. Sold our barrows at the 4-H auction last night...a real tear jerker for the girls, esp. my oldest. Felt bad for her but its another deposit into the college fund. Just rambling to get up to 20 posts so I can bid on the egg auction....
Congrats !!!!

Last edited:
So to preface this I have never incubated anything but chicken eggs. I have a duck egg that should have hatched yesterday, but nothing. So very frustrated right now. I've been trying to keep the humidity up, and when I last added water I must say that I did candle the egg and it appeared to being moving inside, but I did not see any internal pip. Any advice from those of you that have incubated duck eggs before!?! Thank you
I hatch duck eggs, but do different breeds different ways. My daughters cayugs and my muscovy eggs eggs Go right in the incubator with the chickens eggs, but in lockdown they go in a different incubator then the chicken eggs, I mist them, and run humidity about 10 degrees higher. call ducks it is best to just let the hen hatch them,

Last edited:
My second year of owning chickens is today and a birthday for 7 hens
smile.png
( actually there was 24 but I gave 13 to my friend and then 3 of mine died to a predator and another one died from hypothermia because she went broody in the middle of winter
sad.png

Today they are going to have some delicious treats and free range with my protection ( been seeing tons of hawks lately not going to risk it)
Happy birthday hennies !!! and Happy anniversary on chicken ownership !!!!

Welcome Thunder Chicken. Love your name! Are you nest boxes ready? You have a fake egg or golf ball in them? Your leghorns should lay soon, we got our leghorns and sex-links on Feb 28th. Leghorns started laying on June 20th.
Cool name....figured you for a turkey guy.
Lol, I thought of it because we used to call Ford Thunderbirds that when I was turning wrenches for a living.
My oldest daughter just won Champion in the feather-legged bantam class with her Buff Cochin rooster at the Parke County Fair!
Congrats!!!
My second year of owning chickens is today and a birthday for 7 hens
smile.png
Happy birthday to your chickens... and my wife.
smile.png
Congrats on the anniversary.

Quinstar and SallyinIndiana- I don't have any more BLRW left. That being said, I can get more hatching eggs and hatch some out if you really did want one or some. Sally, I definitely have an extra legbar roo right now, but just ordered a few more rhodebar eggs. Depending on the hatch I will very likely have a roo available. Ill let you know.
I was thinking Rhodebar since it is a pretty bird and I already have RIR heritage birds. The BLRW would be great but I'm looking for the coloring similar to my old rooster or the chick in the last picture of those you already passed on. The darker pullets won't satisfy by little one's desire for a female buster. I know with eggs there is no promise, not even of getting 100% blues. I'll give it some great thought.
I do sell the eggs just dont have enough customers plus there going to people ik that live close so I can see them when ever I want
smile.png
there leaving cuz dad said feed is to high a price so I think bantams will eat less then LF
feed is high. Bantams will eat less than a LF bird when compared to the same setting, ie the same amount of free range time, around the same kind of plants. Banty eggs are smaller but not super tiny. They are harder to sell. You have to weigh them to use them in recipes that call for large eggs. Banty's are easier for children to hold and such. Bantams are easier for hawks to grab same with many silkies.
So to preface this I have never incubated anything but chicken eggs. I have a duck egg that should have hatched yesterday, but nothing. So very frustrated right now. I've been trying to keep the humidity up, and when I last added water I must say that I did candle the egg and it appeared to being moving inside, but I did not see any internal pip. Any advice from those of you that have incubated duck eggs before!?! Thank you
Misting and higher humbidity in lockdown. Also a touch lower temp in lockdown. some duck eggs take longer than the 28 days. There is a chart for the different duck breeds in the incubation learning area. It is near the bottom right side of the list.
Well... more than 3000 posts since I've been on here.
ep.gif
(I don't think I'll try to catch up...
tongue.png
wish I could get a "readers digest" version... )

I have begun to mix my own feed for various reasons. As part of that, I got a bag of Fertrell, Organic Poultry Nutribalancer (mineral mix). I wasn't able to get a partial bag so I had to get the whole 60 lb bag. That's enough to mix a TON of feed so, needless to say, I won't go through all that for quite some time!

Just wanted to see if anyone might want to purchase some of my bag. I'd figure the cost per lb. and price it that way if anyone wants some.

I'm in Northern Indiana near South Bend, Elkhart, Mishawaka, etc.

If anyone is interested, send me a pm :D

PS: I have a spreadsheet that will figure how much you need to put into any size batch of feed you might be making.
IF you lived closer, I would be interested in buying some of your already mixed up feed. You might be able to sell the ready to feed your chickens feed on CL easier than the mineral mix. I hope you get your money back. It does not sound like a super cheap item to buy.

I do sell the eggs just dont have enough customers plus there going to people ik that live close so I can see them when ever I want
smile.png
there leaving cuz dad said feed is to high a price so I think bantams will eat less then LF
Very true, feed costs have dropped some but yes, bantam should eat much less.

Jchny- congrats on the goat! Someday ill have one or ten.

Welcome to all the new members!
big_smile.png
thank you

Back
Top Bottom