INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I have barred rocks and one of my hens lay eggs with speckles on it like that so I would guess maybe barred rock.

2. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on the egg. Bottom one is EE right? Looks white in the picture. Sorry for your loss of the chick. Nice of Judy to replace it.

3. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Congrats on the first eggs guys! And I'm sorry about the lost chick I just hate that.

I think $10 is about right for a 12 wk old pullet. She will be laying this fall!

Silkies do lay. I have one that's just started laying and she's laid every single day for three weeks, but they do go broody often and stop egg production. I think a lot of people keep them to hatch eggs. And, well, also because they are adorable!

4. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    My buff bantam brahma laid a soft shelled egg first soft egg I seen of my flock

5. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Awe. If its only happened once I bet her system just got out of whack. I've never had a soft shelled egg but I've had one with no yolk. I also started getting really weak shells from an older hen but oyster shells helped. I love buff brahmas I bet the bantams are adorable!

6. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    Probably her system got out of wake she was. One of the new hens I got and they are pretty but she needs bumblefoot surgery on both feet but that's fine :)

7. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Im not sure who layed it, but I have been putting oyster shell in their food. I guess I will leave it out free choice or mix it in scratch. They seem to avoid it.

8. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Yes, I see that they have those desirable skulls.
    I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you! You may have left before we arrived or maybe I just thought you were one of the Indy enthusiasts.
    Old Salt posted:On the way home I picked up a 4 month old Jersey Black Giant rooster from Craigs List to go with my 4 3-mo JBG pullets. I quarantined him for 47 miles.
    That was quite a quarantine-- the Jersey Giant riding with Typhoid John! Seriously though, I hope you feel better soon.
    racinchickins posted: And I'm not sure, but I believe M2H and her husband get the prize for farthest travelled! All the way up from Evansville, with a side trip to pick up a delivery for Jchny.
    Gee, if we won I'm glad we escaped without our prize that undoubtably would have been a Rooster! Btw, I am SO sorry that I didn't visit your restroom as it seems everyone else did since it apparently was quite remarkable. When did you get indoor plumbing?
    Thunder Chicken~ Happy Birthday & congrats on the special gift from your hen. I think $10 for an EE is fine, especially if they guarantee it's a pullet.
    CRSelvey~ Sorry about your chick/Happy for your first egg.
    kaphyper~ Congrats on your first (cracked) egg, too! My RIR used to occasionally lay from the roost, which resulted in scrambled eggs. I think she did it on purpose.
    strssd mom~ I occasionally find a brown egg with some dark brown speckles on it. Not sure which one they're from, but out of your list I have a SLW and BR.
    animal lover posted: One of the new hens I got and they are pretty but she needs bumblefoot surgery on both feet but that's fine [​IMG]
    I admire your confidence and you've proven you can handle bumblefoot surgery! Btw, if I would not have had an invalid chicken that led me to make a quick round-trip, I would have given you a ride to the Poultry Fest since you've been such a great member on this thread. Maybe if there's a Northern Indiana BYCers' fest . . .

9. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

10. MillerBirds

MillerBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Indiana
    I would say it is your barred rocks. My BRs layed brown freckled eggs. Pretty assortment of eggs you have. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by