INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Well it's both a happy and sad day today. One of our little chicks didn't make it, so Judy is nice enough to bring me another one to keep my little girl company. We'll be meeting up in Greenwood tomorrow. On a happy note, I also got my first egg today. Since I only have a red sex-link and an Easter Egger pullet near age, its easy to tell that this one came from Nutella, my Easter Egger.

John I hope you feel better soon.

Wow, it looks like everyone had fun at chickenfest this weekend. It was late notice for me ( I got a nice surprise for my BD when I came home from work today. Got my first egg! Woohoo! It is light brown and of course smaller than usual. I was expecting a white egg from one of the white leghorns first but I don't think this one is. The one on the right is from the refrigerator for comparison and I added the k-cup. Still nice to finally get some production. I have been thinking that I want an EE and saw some 3 months old pullets on Craigs List for $10. Is that a good deal?
Well it's both a happy and sad day today. One of our little chicks didn't make it, so Judy is nice enough to bring me another one to keep my little girl company. We'll be meeting up in Greenwood tomorrow. On a happy note, I also got my first egg today. Since I only have a red sex-link and an Easter Egger pullet near age, its easy to tell that this one came from Nutella, my Easter Egger.
Congrats on your first egg you two!

Wow, it looks like everyone had fun at chickenfest this weekend. It was late notice for me ( <-- noob ) and we already had other plans this weekend. I was tempted to break them.
smile.png

I got a nice surprise for my BD when I came home from work today. Got my first egg! Woohoo!

It is light brown and of course smaller than usual. I was expecting a white egg from one of the white leghorns first but I don't think this one is. The one on the right is from the refrigerator for comparison and I added the k-cup. Still nice to finally get some production.

I have been thinking that I want an EE and saw some 3 months old pullets on Craigs List for $10. Is that a good deal?

Aww! Thats great you guys! We got our first egg today too, except it was soft and layed from the roost, so it was broken lol! Someone doesn't quite have it figured out yet.

These are the kinds of chickens I have...

Barred Rock
Amber Link
ISA Brown
Black Link
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Buff Orpington

Out of those breeds, which ones would lay brown eggs with dark brown speckles/freckles on it?

It is difficult to see them on here, but it is the top egg on the left.

Last edited:
Took some pictures of a couple silkies that I hatched from eggs. These were from Hoosier Silkies in Peru, IN. In my opinion, they are turning out to be quite pretty!
25b1ea94850716c73c9cfd537d8ff882_zpsba4befb5.jpg

46b3b718ab2931e0913bbee7c014878f_zps17674bc9.jpg

482554557db9e0a5d09563601e9fbda8_zps583d123e.jpg

5e262e2c6f7c7676aa8a7db3602041c4_zpsd20e36aa.jpg
love.gif
wow love thee color of this little one~!

I took 4 Buff Orpingtons to the Great Poultry Fest of 2013. Only three advanced to the Happy Peck-and-Scratch Grounds in the Sky.

When I got home, I tossed the survivor over the chicken yard fence. All the other roosters apparently considered him to be an interloper and attacked en masse. I finally intervened with a few feigned kicks to move the attackers away. Being a bird-brained chicken, he went around me and back in the melee. He eventually escaped into the coop after about 15 minutes of this madness.

Today everything seems back to normal. Crazy critters.

On the way home I picked up a 4 month old Jersey Black Giant rooster from Craigs List to go with my 4 3-mo JBG pullets. I quarantined him for 47 miles. Put him in the coop so he would know where to roost. He ventured out and was immediately attacked by the mob (4 4-mo Buff Orpington roos). He beat a hasty retreat to the coop. He roosted with the youngsters. And seems fine today.

Guess I'm gonna have to thin the herd pretty soon. Maybe tomorrow. Too sick today, plus have honey-dew projects for today.

John
Feel better soon John.

Quote:
lau.gif
I realized that on the way home too. Pepper away as needed!

Wow, it looks like everyone had fun at chickenfest this weekend. It was late notice for me ( <-- noob ) and we already had other plans this weekend. I was tempted to break them.
smile.png

I got a nice surprise for my BD when I came home from work today. Got my first egg! Woohoo!

It is light brown and of course smaller than usual. I was expecting a white egg from one of the white leghorns first but I don't think this one is. The one on the right is from the refrigerator for comparison and I added the k-cup. Still nice to finally get some production.

I have been thinking that I want an EE and saw some 3 months old pullets on Craigs List for $10. Is that a good deal?
Wow, yes thats pretty good!

Took some pictures of a couple silkies that I hatched from eggs. These were from Hoosier Silkies in Peru, IN. In my opinion, they are turning out to be quite pretty!
25b1ea94850716c73c9cfd537d8ff882_zpsba4befb5.jpg

Those are some really cute birds. I would have to lay down some rules that they don't need grooming (flat-top) in this house.
smile.png
Are silkies better for pets / show? Or are they good for egg production too?

thunderchicken~~ congrats on ur first egg!! it is very exciting to get that first one! I have 2 white leghorns and 1 cinnamon queen. the leg horns were first to lay, but that may not always be the case!

CRSelvey~~ i am saddened to hear about ur little appenzeller (i think thats how u spell it) not making it
hit.gif
they were so cute when i saw them yesterday!! also congrats on ur first egg!! i kept one of my white leghorns first eggs and my Big Red's first egg so that I could blow them out and paint them gold for that "golden" first egg!!

PS Old Salt-- found the perfect smiley so u don't have to ruin anymore computers
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom