INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    CCCCCCCCHICKENS loved the pics!
    [​IMG] Absolutely, and welcome to our thread! You don't have to be a hoosier to join! Your lil avatar is TOO precious [​IMG]they are such a sweet little breed, and so much fun.

Yep, could be. My australorp chicks have hatched 3 days early [​IMG] I saw pips and was frantically moving them off the turner into the hatcher! I do fast peeks at the windows several times a day for that very reason.

2. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

Sort of new to raising chickens. Got our first 4 red pullet chicks from TSC beginning of april this year, & 4 EE chicks about a week later. One EE got killed last week from a couple of dogs that got loose [​IMG] & one EE has turened out to be a He (but he is very non-agressive & a Beauty). Here's some pictures of two-tone, our cockrel :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

That is our puppy-mill rescue - He is an awesome son (his facebook & Google + pages are in my sig, plus a few posts on the BYC forum.)

4. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Been a crazy busy week as always. My little peachicks are precious, I love them so much! they are warming up to us, we have a nightly mealworm massacre to tighten the bonds. They are taking them from my fingers now, and perching close to my chair in the den. I have a tote half full with shavings 1x4 board clamped on it they roost on, and newspaper all around it. I am watching them VERY close, I noticed the white pea was droopy and very frail sunday evening, so I started looking them over. she was very underweight. So I started electrolites, polyvisol (no iron) and thought she was improving. Checked on the babies this morning and she had passed [​IMG]I have read hours and loads of info about peafowl, and knew it was risky getting a one week old, live and learn I guess [​IMG] the 2 older chicks are a month old, healthy and active, so fingers crossed they will continue to be fine.Offering chopped hardboiled eggs, chopped mealies and grit, on top of gamebird starter. Really hard to find gamebird feed! Going to check orschlen this weekend.
    Sophie my little doeling is just too funny to watch. She is bounding and leaping around, chasing mom, butting moms head, up on her hind legs springing in the air! [​IMG] I had forgotten how cute they are as babies. She has started to nibble the hay, and I have "noble goat" pellets she tastes and then spits out, and Sugar gobbles up.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Thanks!

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I remember you,! well i actually remember your rooster. I saw you over on the what breed or gender is this? thread.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  7. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    pbirdhaven~ Good wishes for Artoo's recovery! African greys are beautiful birds.

I'm lucky that the veterinarian practice where I usually take my pets has two avian vets. It is located on Hwy. 41 N., Evansville: Epperson Veterinary Services Unfortunately, its namesake, Stan Epperson, died a few years ago from cancer. He was an amazing vet and so dedicated; his hours were 7am - 7pm, 7 days a week! He was also on-call at the zoo. For you raptor fans, also located nearby is Highland Veterinary Clinic, which has a Wild Bird Rehab Program. For anyone interested, they are located just north of the Evansville city limits.

Update on Violet, my Lavender Orp pullet who saw the vet a couple of weeks ago. I've been concerned that her "good" leg is stiff, wondered about physical therapy, and if she'll ever be able to walk. Am I torturing her for nothing? I'm worried about Nurse Adeline, my Jubilee Orp who wants to roost, worried about both of them getting larger and older -- 16 weeks. I wrote a memo to the vet about Violet's condition and my concerns-- all in my usual long, tedious narrative style that you all suffer through. : - ) I prefer writing down the info instead of trying to explain it to a third party-- phone nurse-- and then having them re-tell it. I also added two photos that show Violet's leg. I printed out the letter and photos and ran them over to the vet office. She'll be in tomorrow, so she should be giving me a call.

Meanwhile I found an exceptionally nice handmade two story rabbit cage on craigslist. I figured if half of the floor of the second story were removed, I could make steps going up for Adeline. I could cover the entire structure with hardware wire for a two hen coop and place it against the back of the house, but at the opposite end of where the five hens' coop is located. So, I contacted the guy and he asked me if I wanted two rabbits because he had to sell the rabbits before he could sell the cage! Is that called, "bait and switch"? It's weird because he took the post down, but I haven't heard back since I told him I wasn't interested in rabbits. We've had several pet rabbits in the past, but we're sticking with cats and chickens.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I hope everything turns out good with violet. And that sounds weird to about the guy with the rabbits. Why would he not sell the rabbits then sell the hutch? Sounds like common sense to me.

9. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Could she be feeling under the weather in general? I know we have had a few mild days but if one of the chickens decided to act all 'energetic' like running from one of the other flock I am sure that could cause some over heating. I noticed one or two of my RIR will show signs of droopy wings but the rest would be fine. Think the has to do with them spending alot of time in the hot nesting box or being chased from one nesting box t the other.
    I would keep and eye on the bird for other signs, like continuing 'stress'. Maybe some electrolytes to give her a little pep. Make sure she is getting to the water and not being pushed out or bullied from it.

10. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by