INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    To share with all..

Today is a sad day, after feeding my RIR's I normally crouch down and talk to everyone so I can see how they look, only two don't mind being handled but that is fine, I can respect their dislike for being man handled so I don't do it. Anyhoo... While crouched down today and chatting, with the girls eyeballing me and chatting back I got a sneak attacked from behind by the rooster.
    Never.. I mean never has he even puffed up to me.. took me by surprise. Thankfully I was still holding the jug I use to carry the food and beat him repeatedly until he decided he was done, but that took a minute.
    On the positive side I walked away with scratches barely deep enough to draw blood (naturally I am wearing shorts today too), he does now have some impressive spurs so I know it could have been worse.
    This now leaves me both mad and upset. Mad he attacked and upset that this is probably his demise.

I guess I am hoping it was a one off and his attack was just testing the man waters with me, if not.. well I shall put in practice what I learned on the 'Great Chicken Adventure'. Although I hate to admit it, I may [​IMG] while doing so.

2. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    It's disappointing when a roo starts to be aggressive. I have a friend who sets them up on a surface at a height convenient for him, holds them by the front of the breast, and slaps the head back and forth--not hard enough to do damage but to upset their equilibrium. Then he turns loose, and if the roo comes at him again, repeats the process until the bird is so dizzy that it goes into the submissive crouch. However, I have a white cochin bantam that will be meek after the treatment, but goes for me the next time I feed--slow learner. I paid good money for him from a top breeder, so at the moment freezer camp isn't an option--not much meat there anyhow and with that attitude I'm sure that he would be especially tough!

3. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    Welcome iamfivewire (and any other newbies that I've missed). Love your cockerel!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    Have to get rid of all my chickens and my German Rottweiler this is bull fluff the incerance people ate making us :'(

5. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Firstly let me apologize for not welcoming you sooner... Not sure I missed you. Had to dig through for your posting. It took me a moment... Reason for quoting your post was to enjoy the fabulous picture. Almost chicken mafia posing... I love it

6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I got our bird net off of ebay. I think it was 50 x 50 with 2 inch holes. We trimmed off about 20 feet on one side and have used it for patching, and even a cover over our brooder box. We tried the 7, rolls of deer netting from lowes first, the birds would just fly right though the seams after a couple of attempts.
    If it is a production or hatchery RIR, it will most likely get aggressive and stay aggressive. But I did have some luck with hosing our off before I had to sell the production RIR. They would stay away from me but not by children.
    I'm sorry you have to get rid of the animals. What changed causing the people to force you to get rid of the animals. I think your auto spell check did a number on your post.

7. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Welcome iamfivewire! Your rooster is very beautiful.

8. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Kab- I just got rid of 2 adult Roos. And my girls are sooo happy now!! So now I have a younger roo( smaller breed also) and he isn't wooing them yet so they have a break. It'll be a while before I want 2 again. As soon as one would do a girl the other would too!! Tag!! And just watching them fuss with each other. All the girls were scared and bare backed from all of it. So now I have young girls coming of age as well as my older girls and its soo nice!! I found the constant competition exhausting.

Pbirdhaven - have you heard from your vet?

Animallover- glad your phone is working!! It's hard to be without them!! And explain better what's going on?? Maybe you can find someone with chickens you can help so you can still get some "chicken time"!!?

9. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Vickichick- may be if you give him some repeated "aggression" therapy he'll start to realize! I would work on that before I'd do freezer camp. Was it Jchny or someone else who pins them down and makes them wait?? Or give him hand to chest bumps!?

10. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I've been trying to find out what's been killing my chickens for a month now and I have no idea. A week or so ago I posted on the predator and pest and what killed my chickens. Well they gave me good info but I got different answers like bobcat, coon, fox, etc. I never got a definite answer back so I'm going to ask you guys.
    Three chickens were killed and one severely injured but then died in surgery. A young roo and three hens were the victims.
    This is how I found them.
    The first kill
    The young roo had nothing left of him. Some bones were eaten but not much. The head was still connected to the body but no feathers were left on the neck.
    Almost a week and a half later a hen was killed.
    Most of her was left but by her thigh was a whole with some eaten from the inside.
    Injured hen was found that same day.
    She had a very deep infected back wound. No maggots were in the wound.
    One week later another hen was killed and found in the same conditions as the roo.

I have traps set outside for two almost weeks now but the predator is ignoring them.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by