INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    Idk whay change there mind these chickens give us food and pest control ugh I found them all a home already but its still bull fluff I can see them when ever but it still sucks whay am going to do on my spare time????

2. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Rockville, Indiana
    Quote:Doggonit!! I never even thought about it. I would have been more than happy to pick some up for folks on here had I known. My apologies.... I will keep posting how the hatch is coming along. I'll candle in a few days, probably on day 7. Hate to mess with them too much after they've been set.

3. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks. [​IMG]
    Welcome to the group.
    That's funny.

I'm not in the running for Darth's EE's any more. I found a couple on CraigsList that were close to where I work so I grabbed them before someone else did. They are about a month younger than my others and it looks like they are on the bottom of the pecking order. I hope my gang stops picking on them soon.

Still just getting one egg a day. Wish the other five would get busy.[​IMG]

4. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry to hear of your chickens being killed Darth
    ;-(

5. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Animallover - I'm sorry!! :(

Darth - is it getting in to the coop at night? Is this a day attack? I'm really sorry that is awful.

6. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Welcome iamfivewire.... Your EEs are awesome!!

7. irtehun

irtehun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Albion IN
    Does anyone here know of anyone in Indiana that has Barnevelders?

8. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana

It was getting into the coop at night. They live in an enclosed pen but it tore open the chicken wire a little and I repair it but it kept reopening the whole. This is particularly my fault but I would leave the chickens door open at night because my chickens would get up at 4 in the morning and I would usually get up at 8 and I felt bad for them because they would have to wait 4 hours for me to get up. Now I keep the door close.

9. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Welcome Dave,

Definitely keep us posted. A couple of us on here have been trying to hatch out eggs, and haven't had much luck. CCLs are proving to be tricky. I'm 2 for 14 on eggs so far. If you have good success, I'd like to learn from your experience. And it will be great to have another CCL keeper in the area!

10. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Is your pen only enclosed with chicken wire? Despite the name, that stuff isn't strong enough to keep predators out, as you have seen, they tear through it pretty easily. I'd recommend something like 2x4 welded wire. That is strong enough to keep things out, but even then you will want to cover the bottom section near the ground with 1/2" hardware cloth to keep things like raccoons and opossums from reaching through. You should cover any windows and vents in the coop with the hardware cloth also.

I hope that you are successful in catching whatever it is (my guess is raccoons). Once they find a source of food, they'll keep coming back until there isn't any more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by