INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone for the information! Do you guys think it one or multiple raccoons?

2. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Hard to tell. But they tend to come in groups. At my last place (didn't have chickens, but they tore up the garbage), I trapped out 4 coons and 3 possums in 8 days. And that was in the middle of Indy!

3. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Animallover , I'm sorry you have to re-home your babies. I'm sure on here, you will be able to find them good homes. :)

DarthLayer, I hope you catch the culprit! It is unpleasant finding your chickies after a predator has gotten into the coop!! I'm sorry for your losses. :(

Bradselig , I don't think we need fecal testing stuff right away, but if you don't get any interest in it later on let me know.

Well I got my cochin roo back today and three more hens, so I hope that evens out my ratio a bit. They are in quarantine for now. No backing out now. lol I thought about after quarantine, letting the new ones free range on the other side of the fence so they can all see each other and not have contact. I have two fenced in pastures ith 2x4 inch wire fence 5ft tall for the alpacas. The other chickens already free range on the one side. Thats where their coop is. Any thoughts? Side note, Blueberry the large cochin is BEAUTIFUL! Almost black he is so dark blue. And huge! I also got 2 RIR hens and a mystery hen lol. She is black, single comb, white ears. Sorta looks like a leghorn hen , but black. Okay hope everyone is staying dry. It has been raining incessantly here all day!!

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I really know nothing about the breed, but maybe your mystery hen is a black minorca.

5. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Sounds good, jus let me know. I'm very willing to entertain offers as well.

6. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    Sending you a PM.

7. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Will do. Thanks

I suppose she could be. She looks a lot like those. Her ears are small though. I'll post pics when if stops raining. So like next week. lol!

8. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Thank you Judy for the support. As I said in the PM, I do not mind taking care of them at all and trying to get them healthy. I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and not missing something out of ignorance. I LOVE these little birds and can't wait to see them all better. Two of them are much improved and have solid poo. Maybe she is just a little further behind in the cycle.

9. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Dearth- I vote coons also!! Good luck. I ve been doing live traps for weeks and can't catch any. Maybe I need to try marshmallows!! I did relocate the endangered ones and have lost any.........only to dogs, that's another story!!

10. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    You are probably right on that. The two most likely are Minorca or White faced Black Spanish. And the Minorca are much more common. Both lay lots of big white eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by