INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Sorry to hear about your losses. I have provided this info below on this thread before and I was concerned about posting it again, but I noticed a BYC thread from 2007 is still posted, which basically has the same info from the same author. The charts below, which are more user-friendly are from her more recent book, "The Chicken Encyclopedia." If anyone wants to keep a copy for reference, you can "right click" and "Save Image As."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I went to lowes today. twice! I was in town with my sister and we went by lowes so I could get some nails. Then went in town again with the trailer and got 8 2 by 4s and another box of nails. I have lots of work to get down in the breeding pens. And now I think now I am actually going to use of of the pens to put all my show birds in. I already had extra pens and still will. And if I get a lot to put in the show bird pen. I have two stalls connected by a door so if I want them to be altogether I can just open the door. I have to put up some roost, hang feeders and waterers, finish up the door for me to walk in and the door for them to go in the outside run, put up nesting boxes, and actually start and finish the outside run, o ya and put in a few windows just to let some light in. So much to do and so little time lol! But I can get the roost, the doors, and partically get the feeders and waterers hung up, no problem. And I can probably even start the runs. Man, i cant wait to get up early and start working lol.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Ok, NOW it is raining, darn :(.

4. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    When using a live trap, put the bait on the ground and set the trap on top of it with the bait centered under the trip pan. If marshmallows don't work, put a piece of meat (hamburger will do) in a jar of water and set it out in the sun for a few days. When it gets smelly, use it, water and all, for bait.

John

5. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    [​IMG]

The Steel-Jaw Leghold Trap is a cruel, antiquated device designed to capture and hold an animal by a limb.
    The trap’s two spring-powered, metal jaws slam shut when an animal steps on its trigger. The American
    Veterinarian Association, the American Animal Hospital Association, the World Veterinary Association,
    and the National Animal Control Association all agree that leghold traps are inhumane.

What does it do to the animal? Animals caught by the heavy steel jaws of the leghold trap suffer excruciating
    pain on impact; the trap can tear the flesh, cut tendons and ligaments, and break bones. When the animals
    struggle to free themselves, they aggravate their injuries. A trapped animal often chews or twists off the limb
    caught in the trap in an effort to escape. Some traps have “teeth” on the jaws, which add to the physical trauma.

Any trap that grips an animal’s limbs is cruel.
    Trapped animals may struggle in pain for days. Dehydration, blood loss, hypothermia, and predation by other
    animals is torturous.

Wild animals are not evil sociopaths. They are motivated by instincts to survive.

1 person likes this.
  6. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    and power is out for me

7. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Weasel is a possibility. Weasels can be readily caught in a 4" body grip trap, but you have to leave no extra room for him to get around the trap. Wear rubber gloves when setting the trap. When you first get the trap, boil it in fresh water, carry it with tongs out to the chicken house and with rubber gloves, bury it in chicken manure for a day. Then set it in place.

John

8. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] Better start building your ark. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  9. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Wild animals are just trying to make a living when they kill your livestock. No need to mistreat them. If necessary, they should be dispatched as humanely as possible.

An alternative is to build poultry facilities that are impenetrable. That's what commercial poultry raisers do. For most of us, that is economically unjustifiable.

I recommend live traps when they work. I caught a dog and a cat, which I was able to release. No coyote. My coop is coyote proof if they aren't too determined and the pop door is closed by timer at 9:30 PM and doesn't open until 7:00 AM.

Leghold traps are difficult to use effectively and you can end up with a frantic injured animal on a chain. Some will sit passively; some will shred everything within reach. Then you gotta shoot it while it thrashes around. Can get pretty messy and just seems unnecessarily mean to me.
    I have several hanging in my barn. Don't remember where I got them. I do remember using one 30 or so years ago to catch a coon that was getting in my garbage. Caught a barn cat from down the road. He was just sitting there resigned to whatever was to come. I got some heavy welder's gloves and released him. I didn't see any blood or other signs of trauma. Don't think he liked it much because he took off like a bullet when released. He was using all 4 feet in very rapid succession. I never used one again because I discovered coons are too smart to step on a bare trap. It has to be properly bedded in the ground with the surrounding stuff arranged in such a manner as to guide the animal to place it's foot on the trap pan, etc., etc. If you don't know what you are doing, a dam*ed nuisance.

I have body grip traps set to use if raccoon or weasel shows up. I like body grip traps because they are sure (you place it over the entrance hole; when they crawl through, they're had) and yet humane. They are killing traps and will do in your neighbor's cat as surely as a coon. They can be had in large size for coyotes, if needed.

There are many youtube videos on their use.

John

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  10. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by