INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Nice! I never heard of that. From a different website...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pervisors-eggs-beat-odds-QUINTILLION-one.html
    Only one in every 1,000 eggs produced in this country is double-yolked, so the chances of getting even six in a row are 1,000 to the power of six –or one quintillion– roughly the same odds as winning the Lottery three times

That quote is from a different country but I would guess the odds are pretty close. So...odds for two would be 1,000 to the power of two (squared - or times 2). One in a million. [​IMG]

2. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    not times 2 sorry. 1000 x 1000.

3. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

Being new to the IN group & only been on BYC since april this year, i noticed a few of you have the state map w/ you county in red - i think that is pretty cool. Wondering how you did that for your avatar pictures?

4. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    its very simple! Just pm your county and a picture to mother2hens. She is the one to thank! She has done a great job making them

5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Patrick,

Go to TSC or Menards or any place that sells garden chemicals and buy the 3-pack of Sevin Dust. You might need several. Don't get the granules. Granules won't work for this, but they will work for the chicken yard and coop floor for keeping pest free once the dust has done it's work.

You will need to bribe Wade to help you. Since he is not "into chickens", it will have to be a worthwhile bribe.

Catch each bird in turn and dust it down, top, bottom, under wings, neck, legs. Rub it in with your hands until the little bugger looks like a powder puff. When you release him, he will shake off the excess. The shake off will dust the floor and surrounding air. This is the best method. I did this with my dog when she was a 7-week old pup when I found she was infested with fleas. Didn't kill her. Did kill the fleas. Fleas are much harder to kill than mites.

A less hands on approach is to get them grouped in an enclosed space, put on a dust mask, and sprinkle liberally all over the birds, floor, roosts, walls, perches. Everywhere you think a mite might be lurking. Also out in the chicken yard, especially in the dust bath depressions that they have made. Don't let the birds out until they have had ample time to transfer the dust all over themselves. My ducks and guineas are hard to get close to, so I dump some dust in my hand and throw it at the uncooperative buggers. When your critters have white backs, you are done.

Sprinkle some on your shoes and legs. Otherwise you may end up with crotch visitors. Ask me how I know. Well, maybe don't ask. Chicken is not the only thing on their menu.

You may have to repeat the operation until you don't find any more signs of infestation.

Luck, John

P.S. Wade; make him pay dearly.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    My little ones are 12 weeks old today, and I also got some pictures of the big girls, so I have lots to share. :D Here are the youngsters:

Hika Ma the Easter-egger bantam boy:

[​IMG]

Huka the Silver Lakenvelder pullet:

[​IMG]

Ihi the Golden Campine pullet:

[​IMG]

Marama the Egyptian Fayoumi pullet:

[​IMG]

Po baby the Black Cochin bantam boy (his feet! :love ):

[​IMG]

Rangi the Ancona pullet! :D

[​IMG]

Roha the Exchequer Leghorn pullet:

[​IMG]

And finally, the beautiful Whiri the Light Brown Leghorn pullet:

[​IMG]

8. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Rangi!

[​IMG]

Ihi, because I thought she looked so pretty in this picture. :love

[​IMG]

Roha, who decided to try perching on the 2 inch ledge above the door in the coop. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

My beloved blue splash Marans, Frou-Frou, resting her head in my hand :love

[​IMG]

My gorgeous Partridge Plymouth Rock hen, She Who Sleeps Standing Up:

[​IMG]

And Margaret, the Silkie I got from Brad. :D

[​IMG]

9. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I gotta compliment (grudgingly) you on the flowers around your run. Looks nice. I may have to steal the idea. It looks so much better than just grass.

John

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I like slidding on ice I think it is fun. On year me and my mom spun around in circles and went into someone yard, nothing bad. She cried I laughed. It wasnt anything serious and the people werent mad about there yard. The only thing I dont like about winter is when I have to be outside all day- my toes get cold. And having to carry the water and thaw out the frozen buckets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by