INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Racin-I used sevin dust when I noticed mites. I took out all old bedding, sprinkled more sevin dust and put in new bedding. For the roosts, walls, cracks, etc, I used a permethrin based spray and sprayed them down. Haven't noticed an issue since. I used DE prior but obviously didn't do anything to help prevent or kill the mites from my experience.

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    lol. My brother in law races cars at the montepiler race track. but ahsnt for a few months because he is fixing his car. First time I ever watched him race, he came around the track hit the wall, flipped 6 times, and landed right side up. Amazingly nothing but a few bruises. And If you have ever been to the race track you can probably agree that those cars arent built very good. To me they look like pieces of scrap metal lol.

3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCChickens is right. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

You have all those unused horse stalls with walls and doors already built. Just add some wire enclosure to keep out the raccoons and you are done. Some nest boxes, feed and water and you're done.

Breeders don't need a chicken yard. All they need are food, water, and nest boxes. If you pile up some hay or straw in a corner, they don't need nest boxes. They will make their own. Throw a rooster and a few hens in the stall and collect the eggs. When you have enough eggs, toss them under a broody hen or into an incubator. 3 weeks later, you got a bunch of chicks.

If you are letting the hen hatch them, you can put her in her own stall with the chicks and let her take care of them.

Use what you have.

John

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I let am working on the runs next, because me being the softie I am would feel bad if I didnt let them go outside. When I was first starting my breeding pens I was going to start from scratch. Then I was like wait a minute, why not just use the old horse stalls! Occassionally I have good ideas lol.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    O and how ironic that they have unused horse stalls!

6. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Not more than a couple dozen or so! Did you notice how HUGE that horse barn is? There is an exercise yard in there!

If they decided to start a commercial poultry farm, they could put thousands of birds in there, in cages of course.

PATRICK - What are the dimensions of that barn? Nosey.

John

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I didnt go to poultry fest. But did see a barn in pics people posted, but had no idea it was a horse barn. I only have 7 stalls. I used to have 12 horses talk about a feed bill lol, only 3 were mine.

8. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Awww congrats! So exciting to see it [​IMG]

9. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I am too tired to read all the posts tonight, but when I saw this one I knew that Old Salt would be suggesting that you hire a crop duster to fly over your place to coat it with Sevin dust -- I skimmed ahead and sure enough Old Salt doesn't think just a sprinkle is enough. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG]

I have been lucky with the hawks so far, its the fox that keeps showing up every so often. I will get it yet.
    It snatched one of my GLW cockerels this weekend, I cant believe how bold the thing is.
    I keep my rifle with me but it comes in so fast, its usually too late or not a safe shot to take.
    Yes, you aren't kidding! My 4 adults will harass the fox, he can't get them. I have seen him try out in the back corner of our property by the creek, they just fly away from it.
    Its scary, but truly impressive to see how high a fox can jump... I have yet to get a safe shot off to nail that critter but its days are numbered.
    My 2 guinea cocks will actually charge it, then fly off. They will take on a tom turkey, just fearless. My 4 adults I can't put with the main flock, the boys attack the chickens too.
    Both hens are social with all of the birds and are no problem. All my hatched guinea are being raised with the main flock. I really hope it makes a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by