INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    With all the birds I have, so far I don't see any parasites. But, if wild birds feast on your feed, It will expose your flock.
    I had a cardinal that got caught in the netting, trying to come in to feed. Poor guy was terrified and I had to cut the netting to release him.
    Wild birds will really cause problems, so I just watch close. I only feed in the coop run, but when they free range who knows?
    Ivermectin pour on is a really good product, and can be used by drops to remove parasites from your flock. It supposedly does kill mites also.
    Its labeled for cattle but I use it on my pug, all my birds. will post the dosage as soon as I can find it.
    I recently ran across a better product Valbazen but have not tried it yet. It does take time to drop the meds on each bird, but better to be safe.

2. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    he is very courteous, just send a message to seller.

He has excellent hatch rates and I have the cheap LG bators. I have bought several eggs from him and am never disappointed.
    I have LO but are not separated from the main flock. Hoping soon, My girls are laying already.

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] Broodys are so stubborn. I have 4 trying to hatch golf balls. 1 GLW one EE and 2 Australorp.
    Roos, LOL They sure get busy with "meeting" the hens, oh my!

Wow that is a perfect box to transport. I need a lil truck bad to ger in on some of this stuff.

Have yet to see a double, but I set almost every egg to hatch, nice looking over easy to cook [​IMG]

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

7. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Northern IN. Southern IN folks, If you have some land and a free weekend, please consider a get together for our members.
    We all had a lot of fun at Racinchickins and really want to include everyone we can for our next get together.
    We can plan workshops, or just a picnic. I will be there to help with cleanup if needed.
    I am truly blessed to meet so many of our friends on our thread, and want everyone to have the same opportunity.

8. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    First of all, I have only been away 12 hours and their are 59 new posts! Wow.

Anyway, I like our coop design because it is off the ground, has access all 4 sides for clean-out, and extra strong security. We don't have electric fence, so that should be very secure your way. Our 2X4 welded wire/1/2 square hardware cloth is buried horizontally 2 feet out to stop digging predators, and the 2X4 is all around the run, including the top. No worried about our small flock whatsoever when they are in that fortress. Post page 1103 has some recent pictures of ours.

I don't have any experience with mites, tho. I think John recommends Sevin dust.

9. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    First eggs! Very nice, it's like getting your first tomatoes after waiting all sping/summer, eh? I describe very fresh eggs tatse difference that way, like a fresh tomato vs. a store bought tomato.
    Thanks for the compliments about the coop. We are liking it more and more as it matures. So glad we did a lot of research before the build.

10. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Thanks. Means a lot coming from you! My chickens do wonder why I always spread the tinfoil on the top every night. I tell them to not ask so many questions. Sunflowers were my idea, the marigolds are my wifes.
    We go sledding whenever we get the chance. I wish we had more opportunities here in Indpls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by