INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I will see If I can get a pic of my cat too! She is mean though, she only cuddles when she wants and dosent like to be messed with. SO pretty much she thinks you should leave her alone unless she comes up to you.

2. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Originally Posted by Old Salt 1945 [​IMG]
    Breeders don't need a chicken yard. All they need are food, water, and nest boxes. If you pile up some hay or straw in a corner, they don't need nest boxes. They will make their own. Throw a rooster and a few hens in the stall and collect the eggs. When you have enough eggs, toss them under a broody hen or into an incubator. 3 weeks later, you got a bunch of chicks.

I'd think they would need natural light, but knowing racin's attention to aesthetics, he would probably install beautiful skylights. We have all kinds of plans for racin's horse barns! He could also make a BYC party house. [​IMG]
    Northern IN. Southern IN folks, If you have some land and a free weekend, please consider a get together for our members.
    We all had a lot of fun at Racinchickins and really want to include everyone we can for our next get together.
    We can plan workshops, or just a picnic. I will be there to help with cleanup if needed.
    I am truly blessed to meet so many of our friends on our thread, and want everyone to have the same opportunity.

To get together in the Northern part of the state, members could always meet at a State Park. (Chicken processing doesn't have to be part of it) With the busy Back to School time underway, everyone would need to post possible Saturday or Sunday/dates to determine the one where the most people could attend. No, I'm not volunteering to be in charge since I'm not a Northerner. Just a suggestion.

Originally Posted by kabhyper1 [​IMG]

[​IMG] Our first two eggs are double yolkers! Same hen. These are her first eggs too! lol
    Has your hen been exposed to Sevin Dust insecticide? just kidding [​IMG]
    Originally Posted by jchny2000With all the birds I have, so far I don't see any parasites. But, if wild birds feast on your feed, It will expose your flock.
    Wild birds will really cause problems, so I just watch close. I only feed in the coop run, but when they free range who knows?

Yes, and wild birds also spread Scaly Leg Mites, which are difficult to eradicate because they keep hatching at a later date like fleas do. Plus, the leg treatments of smothering the mites with oil, etc. are a lot of work that has to be repeated for weeks and weeks.
    Quinstar~ Your Abyssinian cats are gorgeous! In this pose, you can certainly see its Egyptian heritage.

[​IMG]
    bradselig~ Another great cat pose! "Tiger" cats are my favorite. I guess it's really called a Tabby cat, but I've always called them tigers.

[​IMG]

Here's my Tiger boy- He's the one who adopted us. I've posted the first photo before, but the second one shows his swirly markings on his side(s) and he also has leopard spots on his stomach.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    [​IMG]He is beautiful also. all of ours picked us. all strays. My husband swears there is a sign at the end of the drive that only animals can see that says crazy lady lives here, will give you a good home. !!! LOL !!

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Ha that is funny. Counting all the cats I have had in the past I think I have only ever bought 3. All others were strays, rescues, or people that were going to drop them off in the country or take them to the pound if they didnt find a home. My favorite cat I had was a siamese. I had here when I was a little kid like 3-5years old. Here name was three. My parents would alwaqys laugh because people would come over and said o you named your cat 3 and I would be like but not the number 3. Because like there is another 3 lol! Strays usually make really good pets.

5. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    I'm a little behind because I spent the weekend with family and at the state fair.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    maybe they just know a good thing when they see it!

I am very happy to report that my little chicks are doing so good now. I took their little rabbit cage outside and let them play in the grass all day. They seem totally recovered and that is such a relief. Tomorrow we will work on moving the pretty cochins and Wyandotte I got from Old Salt to their own quarters in the garden so that they can start getting used to the other chickens. I can't wait till everyone is in the same location!

We went to the state fair and it was so fun, but they were still full up on rabbits and only about 10 chickens on display. I might have to go again and good luck to anyone who is showing there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    man you should of stayed a day longer! 4 h kids bring there chickens tomorrow.

7. irtehun

irtehun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Albion IN
    I'm trying to rehome 3 Pekin ducks and 2 Pygmy goats if anyone is interested please let me know.

8. Momma 2 silkies

Momma 2 silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Will anyone be coming to the Kentucky State Fair with back silkies or showgirls for sale? I'm looking to add to my flock but I'm having a hard time finding blacks.

9. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    My kids start school on Wednesday, so I might drop them off and head to the fair with my youngest girl. We would love to see them all. Have fun if we don't see you.

10. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It looks like the cats took over this thread, lol. We have a cat like yours. It was a stray that my son managed to talk us into taking in a few years ago. He only looks for us if his bowl is empty.

Speaking of empty, I need to get some more feed soon. I have been buying it at TSC because I don't know where else to look. Where have those of you in the Indianapolis area been buying yours? What do you recommend for laying chickens? It looks like two are laying now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by