INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Mine are almost 22 weeks and no eggs yet. They are imported ORP lines. So apparently it takes them longer.

2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I'm thinking of driving 400 miles round trip to get a pair of 3 1/2 mo. Cream Legbars. This is probably an idiotic thing to do.

Please, someone give me a better alternative. Save me from myself.

[​IMG]

John

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I think you have lots of things going on. Here are my guesses:
    23 and 26 week hens are beginning layers their eggs could be smaller for several reasons, the hens are still maturing, MIGHT need more protein,
    A silkie can go broody and stop laying or have a hidden nest, if the silkie feels scared of your wyandottes she might not lay,
    A hen that has just started to lay may not be regular yet or if the hens are not getting enough light they may not produce as many eggs as possible or if they are lacking something in their diet they may not lay as much. And a fat chicken will slow down in laying just as a hungry chicken will lay fewer eggs.
    As for when the Cochin will start to lay, I have found that a high protein diet will help the chick to mature faster and lay sooner. You are already at the 23 week mark so it should not be long given the hen has light, food, and a feeling of protection. Signs include the comb and wattles getting redder, a change in the pelvic bone structure, and once laying a more open looking moist vent.

4. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm not the most experienced on here but I do have six hens that have just started laying. Egg sizes vary quite a bit from day to day and I have had a couple that are huge. One of them was actually indented in the middle and looked like two eggs joined together. My wife cracked it open and cooked it and it was a double yolker. Last weekend I made deviled eggs out of a dozen of them and three of them were small double yolkers but they all looked normal in size before I cooked them. I think it takes a while before they lay consistent sized eggs. I have had six in one day but today only five.

5. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN

Can you get someone else to do it? What happened to reducing your flock [​IMG]? Just kidding. Who wants to do that.

6. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    I was just thinking about my Lucy. She is an almost 24 week old red sex-link. Shouldn't she be laying a few eggs by now?

7. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I got 4 of them on April 6. The last one started laying a week ago. I think they were less than a week old when I got them.

8. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    OK, you drive out there and get them. I'll kick in $5.00 for your gas.[​IMG]

I plan to send all the roosters to freezer camp this week. [​IMG]

John

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  9. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I'm no expert on legbars, but the picture attached look different from my legbar hen. Those actually look closer to my rhodebar hen. Ill try to post pics here in a bit once I find them.

1 person likes this.
  10. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

Is that a picture of them? Because those don't look like cream Legbars to me... :/

ETA: Great minds... :lol:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by