INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pip:
    X4 on the coop & the woodsy view from the coop!

Darth:
    These lesser beings just find us, don't they. Not sure who it brings more peace to --them or us. :)

M2H:
    We have a Black Bantam Orpington (Peanut) and keep her in the flock with everybody else--including a Golden Cuckoo Marans, who towers over her. Peanut is the only bantam in the flock of 8. They were all raised as day-olds together.

Interestingly enough, Peanut has been being very aggressive this weekend, and we were warning her what happens to aggressive girls. She was chasing one of our Cream Legbars who is 5 weeks older than her and much bigger. Peanut was guarding a treat block from the Cream Legbar and Peanut jumped up, grabbed the CL by the neck and had feathers in her mouth from the CL.
    She was a devil all weekend long. We are trying to chaulk it up to hormones and all of the girls coming into laying. Otherwise, I think Peanut will be showing up at a chicken garage sale this weekend!

Peanut has no idea she's little. Peanut is so black she's green & blue.
    [​IMG]
    All this to say, if your bantam Oprington has any attitude like mine does, she'll be fine in the group of the big girls.
    Your girls are really cute! How do you manage not naming them as soon as you see them the first time?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gosh darn it... You need to start the bantam Cohins, I think I would be your number one buyer. I have heard you have exceptional Silkies, makes me contemplate getting some.

3. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Farker Farms - Welcome to the thread! It can move rather fast in here so make sure you keep up on the reading even if you don't respond.

4. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    So my lavenders are at 20 weeks and I still do not have crowing, but nor have I seen any eggs. Going to post some newer photos later and have the guessing game played. I think I have a pullet and roo, however my 'pullet' has some curled tail feathers. With my 'roo' he did not have a tail until recently, just decided he did not want one I guess. My sexing is based on comb growth.

5. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Thanks for the compliments on my coop! :D That's two birthday gifts I'm rather satisfied with. :lol: And yeah, I figure the first rain that comes around will splash up enough dirt you won't be able to tell how sloppy the paint job is. That's how it happened on the original coop! But then, y'all are more than welcome to come around and give it another coat of paint, free of charge. ;)

6. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I use to have bantam cochins. But when my baby Emma( I loved that hen) died , I just didn't want them anymore. But I sold them to people around here, At least one person is on this thread, if they still have them !!

7. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    [​IMG]
    This is Snowwhite. She is 5-6 yrs old, We have been showing her for years now, and this morning , when I opened the door, and was feeding , I heard what sounded like a young roo, trying to crow. She is right beside my daughters young bantam white rock pair, so I thought it was him, But Couldn't believe it when I realized it was Snowwhite doing it. She did this pitiful crow about 7 times !! This is the second hen I've had that Crows, (though it is pretty pitiful !!!

1 person likes this.
  8. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Rooster?

[​IMG] [​IMG] Hen? Note the long tail feather. The lack of full tail is confusing me.

[​IMG] Obvious size difference, but I still have not heard anything from 'him' and no eggs from 'her'

9. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Man those are beautiful!
    The coop and addition look great! You did an awesome job!
    she is very pretty! Even if she does crow ;)
    i still think both are pullets. Neither have hackle or saddle feathers and a that age I'd expect the Roos comb would be much larger than it is.

10. EmSteele

EmSteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I'm afraid it may come to that. We haven't had another incident yet but the family REALLY. Needs to make a decision on what to do with the old man...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by