INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Hi everyone! We are back from vacation. Glad to see there are so many new people joining!!

Has anybody heard from Crafty chick? About her DH?? Updates?

Sorry to hear about everyone's losses. We can all relate.:(

Old salt- I was going to tell you to go for it and do the drive for those chickens, and my retort was that you are retired and have the time!! But maybe you should wait and get the right ones!!

Cccccc- I got DE at Tractor supply. They have a small thing for maybe $12 and a larger bag for 20.

2. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    At the TSC in Muncie, you can buy 50lb bags of it. Just make sure it's food grade.

3. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    I was just curious. She can take her time if she wants, but I thought 6 months was about when it was supposed to happen. Maybe I'll go on egg watch and spend even more time out there. Who needs to clean the house anyway!
    Well after reading the rest of the posts, I guess that trip is off, but I just found out that I will be taking one to the Outer Banks when my kids are on fall break. WHOOHOOO! I wonder if they'd vote me out of the car if I looked for chicks down there, lol. Are you really going to do them all? Not even keeping one? It will be so quiet at your house. By the way, WWW looks great! I was so happy to see his pics and how great he is looking now. I hope you can find him a girlfriend.

Blueegggirl- Those are some pretty chickens you have.

1 person likes this.
  4. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    21 days ago, I put 4 eggs from my flock in the incubator, only one was fertile and today hatched a cute little naked neck chick! It is a NN/Birchen Marans mix. Ill get pictures once it dries out. Hoping my quail eggs start to hatch to give him a few buddies.

5. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Regarding DE - I bought mine on amazon. Best price I could find. Not everyone has had the same experience but I haven't had a mite since I started using it. Yes - get food grade. The other stuff will kill your (and your chickens) lungs.

6. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I'd be interested in possibly going in on a Greenfire order in the spring. I'll have a better idea then of what I'd like to do to improve my stock.

7. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    oh, my.... just got done reading the hoosier book of BYC posts. my DH is doing fine now, they had to shock him twice, then he insisted on going back to work the next day... sheesh, men. he was pretty tired afterward. he told me he wanted some pretty roos. so we looked through mcmurray and he picked out some white rocks, and i got to pick some chicks too :) yes, chicken math indeed. also, i am testing my young roo's fertility, i have 6 BO eggs in the incubator. question~ my mille fleur girl is squatting and hanging out in the nest like she's broody, but she hasnt started laying yet... can they go broody BEFORE they start laying?

8. racinchickins

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Glad to hear on the DH. And the chicken math!

As far as your Mille Fleur, she is just probably trying on the nest for size. I've had a few that hung out around the nests when they were getting close to laying. It's probably an instinct telling them they need to find a nice quiet place, but their bodies haven't quite caught up yet to follow through with why they need the quiet place. But it is another good sign that she is close.

9. racinchickins

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    So excited! Just got the email that my Automatic Chicken door has been delivered! No more running out in the middle of the night because I forgot to shut up the chickens, no more getting up early because they need to be let out!!!!

I'll make sure to post some pics of the install.

1 person likes this.
  10. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls are all over the page. 2 huge eggs yesterday and this morning I opened the coop to find one small one in the box, one by the food, and one soft small one in the run that apparently popped out in the excitement of being let outside. [​IMG] This whole beginner layers thing is kinda comical

. I edited this because I just went out and found a big egg and another small egg. The big pink one is Peaches the EE, it was in the box. The little one I found looks just like the other 3 from this morning aside of the soft one. It was laying in the run too. This is the first time they have layed out of the box. Must have been a long line to the boxes this morning. [​IMG] SO...5 eggs today out of 9 girls. Hmmm lol.
    Here are my eggs from this week... like I said all over the page.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by