INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Racinchickins:
    I shopped around a LONG time when considering an automatic coop door. I wanted something sturdy, and a string didn't seem all that sturdy to me. I was also afraid of raccoon paws prying open the door, so I wanted something secure in that way, too. I was about to spring for a door from the UK, but finally decided on the door from adorstore...we love it.
    We installed it backwards (on purpose) and have the light sensor on the inside. We also had to get an extension of the light sensor and install that. The hardest part has been understanding the instructions, and programming it. Once we figured that part out, we've been very happy.
    If you have any trouble, I'm only keystrokes away.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG]
    OldSalt--you're exactly right...when that door goes up, they pour right out. Very funny analogy!

3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    In keeping with all the teasing you have been getting, I must ask you to be more specific than "most of a can". Would this be a gallon can, quart, pint, or (shudder) one measured it that vile invention from over the pond known as "metric". Please weigh the can, deducting the weight of the can, determine the specific gravity of the paint in question, and use the results to calculate the exact amount of paint in the can. Do not decant the paint into a volumetric measuring device to make the determination, as due to the viscosity of the paint, you would surely lose some in the process.

Please respond as quickly as feasible and in the future, lung yady, be more accurate in your statements.

John

1 person likes this.
  4. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Why can not you guys live closer to me? You all are a hoot.

1 person likes this.
  5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone for telling me about DE, I appreciate it. And an glad you guys told me to get food grade, I had no idea. I know chickens have sensitive resiparatory systems and I have athma, so I am sure the outcome wouldnt of been good.

6. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

Oh, boy, don't get me started on that! I'm in Chemistry again this semester--that's all the kinds of things we're doing! In metric, of course!

In other news, I'm at 8 votes pullet and 3 votes cockerel on Marka / Margaret, so I've renamed her to 'Margaret Until Proven Otherwise', which can be shortened to Margaret*, Margaret, or Margie. ;)

[​IMG]

* Until Proven Otherwise

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I vote pullet

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I have had some people try and convince me to use ferminated feed. I know it would save me a lot of money. But to me it just seems lke to much time and effort. But some one did tell me that if you feed your chickens oats it will fill them up faster. But dont feed them to much becuase it could mess up how they mature. Sounds a little fishy to me, but i mean can it really hurt?

9. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    OK, I'm just going to throw this out there and see what, if anything, happens. As seen below, I made some drips on my rooster stencil and have started corrections using actual white paint that will be painted over with the off white coop stain. When I went inside to clean said stencil, my three and five year old helpers decided that I was not doing enough to the coop and it needed even more white. Can you see it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is it bugging anyone? Anyone who might want to fix it that is, lol. Because I'm totally open to the help painting and I have an ENTIRE GALLON of off white stain that could be used to fix this issue. [​IMG]

Oh, and in addition to this, I am also staining the cabin a new color (on the right) where there might be some drippage, so that too is available if you get the urge to paint something (especially if you have scaffolding to reach the back corner) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pipd, I'd available to help with plants if you ever want to add those too. Your chicks are pretty lucky and I really love how much thought you put into making the base secure. Really good job.

You guys had me cracking up.
    Thank you.

10. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by