INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
  2. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Hi,

Finally got my camera out, so settle in. I took a bunch of pics. Here is the first set:

[​IMG]
    Heritage Roast Chicken. Magnifique!! Also turned out to make great chicken salad, and shredded chicken on pizza.
    [​IMG]
    New chicken door. LOVE IT!
    [​IMG]
    another look.
    [​IMG]
    Was going to provide pics on assembly. But there wasn't any. Screw it to the coop entry, add battery. Stand back.
    [​IMG]
    I shut the second ramp after I check on them in the evening, and the door takes care of the rest. It's awesome! It's on a light sensor, not a timer, so no having to change the settings.

3. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lets see if this works. Here are my new babies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

4. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Brad- well. Love my LF but Bantys are my favorite!!( not so much the silkies). They are cute and scrappy!! And those that you listed are super cute!! Fortunately I'm not into incubating!! Cause they'd make a nice addition to my group!!;). My DH asked my why I'd gotten so many LF a couple of weeks ago cause he liked the Millies the best!

5. danand

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Browncow- aaaawwwwhhhhhhh!!! So cute!!!

6. danand

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Racin- the new door looks great!! I hope to get one someday!;)

7. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

I have in iPhone 3GS and it's the mobile site. It acts like its going to load but it won't. The tapatalk app worked but it sure asked for a lot of access to my information!

8. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Second Set: Laying flock and Turkeys

[​IMG]
    Egyptian Fayoumi - Pharaoh of the flock. He's the closest to a gentleman I've got. He calls the ladies over and feeds them before jumping them.
    [​IMG]
    Turkeys are WAY more curious than chickens.
    [​IMG]
    This on follows me around and talks to me the whole time I'm in the run.
    [​IMG]
    Welsummer. Nice dark brown eggs.
    [​IMG]
    Polish pullet. Every so often I have to catch her and trim the feathers around her eyes so she stops running into things. Medium white egg.
    [​IMG]
    Queen Fayoumi. Smallest hen, biggest attitude. Small white eggs.
    [​IMG]
    Silver Duckwing Phoenix. Earliest to lay. Small white egg.
    [​IMG]
    Golden Spangled hamburg. Prettiest pullet I have. Small white egg.
    [​IMG]
    Love the silver coloring on this hen.
    [​IMG]
    My male Buffed Polish. My partner and friends call him 'Penelope'. The Fayoumi sneaks up on him and gooses him all the time.
    [​IMG]
    Silver Laced Cochin roo.
    [​IMG]
    Silver Leghorn. Decent sized white egg.
    [​IMG]
    My Royal Palm Jake. Biggest bird I have, lots of room to grow yet.
    [​IMG]
    Turkeys waiting for a handout from my partner.
    [​IMG]
    Dark Brahma pullet. Love the coloring. Last of my group to start laying. Big light brown eggs.
    [​IMG]
    Cowabunga!
    [​IMG]
    Stinkeye as only a broody can do. My phoenix pullet. Went broody after laying for only two months.
    [​IMG]
    My happy barnyard. Everybody looking for chicken crack!

1 person likes this.
  9. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

I agree with Sally that their temperature tolerance would depend on how they have been raised thus far. If you go by the lower by 5 degrees a week rule, though, they should be able to handle 65-70 degree weather at night. These birds are tougher than we usually give them credit for, and they should put off enough body heat when piled up that I would expect they will do fine without heat at this point.

You should always quarantine for as close to a month as possible. 3 weeks is bare minimum. Watch them closely for any signs of disease, including small things like head shaking or small sneezes. A lot of the time this is environmental, but you usually don't want to take that risk. About a week before they go in with the rest of your flock, put your least favorite bird with them, separated by fence if needed. This sounds horrible, but this will be a mutual exposure that is useful in determining if any of the birds are carriers of something. If the new guys show symptoms, your flock is carrying something, and if the 'first exposure' bird shows symptoms, then the new guys are carrying something and all exposed birds should be culled for the health of your flock.

When I introduce young birds into my flock, I do a month of 'look but don't touch'. I know that not everyone has the facilities to do so, but this is what works for me. After a month of sleeping in the coop and being kept separate, they should integrate pretty smoothly and know where to go at night. Usually, by 8-10 weeks old and after this long exposure, my youngsters do fine in the big-girl flock. I do have a few hens that don't tolerate newcomers as easily, and you'll probably find that you have one or two as well, but they'll calm down eventually and your flock should return to peace.

Do not feed young birds layer feed! Too much calcium in their diets is bad for both young birds and adult roosters. My hens are fed on an all-flock crumble and given oyster shell free choice, which the youngsters don't mess with until they're getting close to lay. The nice thing about this setup is that all-flock feeds can usually be given to chicks from the get-go, so you never have to worry about how to feed them once they're integrated. I would recommend feeding them like this at least until your youngsters are 16 weeks old.

The only other thing to mention is that, especially if it has been wet and rainy where you live, keep an eye out for coccidiosis. That should be about it. Best of luck!

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by