1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Julie you live close enough to us, if you wanted, we could pick out a Saturday for processing. We have a few more roosters that i want to turn into chicken soup. I'm sure once DH gets in the processing mood, he would not mind a couple more. Then you could have chicken soup too. That is, if you eat chicken, I know some on here don't.
    Most times I skim and skim if I'm more than a page behind. Today there was 170 posts so lots of skimming.

1 person likes this.
  2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Sallyinindiana - thanks for the feedback. I seriously went over it and over it in my head beating myself up all day. I do think it had passed or was too weak to make it. Not one movement or chirp. Just my first time so I'm
    Being hard on myself I guess. I felt better when I came home to my two healthy cuties. I don't currently have any Roos I could face processing but my family does eat chicken. If you ever want to unload some you've processed I'd consider offering a monetary donation to the cause and for your efforts and take a couple off your hands;) (trying to avoid getting kicked off for advertising or buying/selling lol). I'm not real fond of the commercial chicken industry. I'd rather buy from a some one on here.

3. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I'm not up for selling ours yet. They were all pan fry deals so only good for soups and such. They are also lacking in the white meat area. (I had to think about a family friendly way to say they are not brick shaped).
    If we ever get good at raising the broilers that might change. Still from what I have read, the store chicken is much cheaper. I think the cost to raise up a broiler to 8 weeks is at least $10. I'm not going to be selling anything in this post since I would have to think long and hard about the risks involved in selling a processed chicken to the general public. Now friends that want some help processing that I'm ok with as it would be their chicken so their job to make sure it was healthy.

2 people like this.
  4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I will try and post a pic or a link. I got it today but It wasnt even what I ordered. It was pretty much a mini version of what I ordered. Instead of being 12in long it is 6, half the size!

5. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Okay, more questions...

I am about to inherit 9 chicks that are 4-5 weeks old. We currently have 20 hens that are already laying for us.

Do the new chicks have to be in a brooder with a heat light at this age? The temps here are 60's & 70's at night to 80's and 90's during the day.

How do I introduce them, AFTER quarantining them? How long do you quarantine chicks before introductions?

How do I handle feeding them? All of my hens are on layer crumbles. Can the chicks eat that?

If there is anything else I need to know, please educate me!!!!

Thank you in advance!

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I try to keep mine under a heat lamp until 6 weeks old bantams longer. Do not put them with your hens until they are bigger they could get trampled or severly picked on. To introduce them put them in a cage in your run. Let everyone check them out, do this for as long as you feel necessary. I would do it a few time before I let them out. I would quarientene them for a month. Feed them chick starter, I feed medicated chick starter only like 2 dollars more . Do not feed them layer crumbles that will give them to much calicum. I think that anwser all your questions and I dont think there is anything really important you left out when asking questions.

7. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    W

What kind of phone are you using and are you on the "mobile" site or "desktop" when using your phone?

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
  9. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I hope this helps. CCCC..Chickens had a lot of great advice too.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I hate when typing on computes you cant show emotion (except for simley faces and stuff). When I am trying to be sarcastic and am going to start saying bazinga (anybody that watches the Big Bang therory knows what I am talking about lol),Then I will be sure people get it lol!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by