INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are closer pics of fan.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Sorry for the dirty coop. This is before morning sweeping.

3. kabhyper1

It does get dusty, I just use a swiffer, or the air compressor and blow it out if it's really bad. Pretty much any fan is going to get gunked up. I just have to make sure if it's going to storm or rain hard to unplug it. It's on the front so I don't want it shorting out. It's also nice because I can go out and adjust the speed from either side.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  4. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    You got me. I'm kind of fried too. Too many days of not enough sleep because my dh was out of town. Last night I had a cup of coffee just to get through all my kids activities and I was up again till after 1 and back up at 6. Thank goodness he is home so I can relax a bit. [​IMG]

5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Was that on the same page as the "Mad Cow" warnings?

6. kabhyper1

So my new layers are dropping eggs all over the place. They start out laying in the coop for a long while, and when I go in to check there is no egg, then I'll glance over and sure enough there is one laying in the yard or in the sand in the run, or next to the food or water. Does this mean they are having trouble laying and the egg just falls out later? I'm also finding more soft eggs, but I think some of the other girls are starting out. They have plenty of calcium.I found yolk and whites in the run water this morning after I let them out. I have no Idea how that could have happened. LOL

7. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

8. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

9. kabhyper1

It's a HOLMES. The slider for the speed and power can be adjusted from the front and back. As long as you keep clean you should be fine as far as fire goes. Any fan let to get gunked up is a fire hazard. I have hardware cloth over my windows and my fan in on the inside, so when it sucks dust up, the hardware cloth catches a lot of it. The fan is easy to remove and flip around to point outside and to clean. I actually have it installed upside down to go in the top of the double hung window. It can be turned over and put in the bottom of the window also.

10. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Old Salt - I just talked to a gal that had a barn fire and lost over 100 animals. She has talked to the fire safety folks (of course) and they told her that fans aren't usually much of a problem unless there is an actual defect in the motor. These had a space heater soo....

So....you have consensus that I can use a regular fan [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by