INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I bought a $10 fan from Wal-Mart and drilled a couple of holes through the case so I could screw it to the coop door with long drywall screws. Every so often, I scrub off the dust with a broom. It has been going all summer. If it breaks, I'll blow another 10 bucks for another one.

I built the door out of scrap lumber I had collected over the years. Note the number of drywall screws I used to assemble the door. There are an equal number on the other side. The parts are glued also. I could take out all the screws and the door would still be solid. The screws just held it together until the glue dried. Talk about overkill! Maybe I should remove the screws. I'm running low on screws. Additionally, the door would probably weigh 4 or 5 pounds less.
hmm.png

John
John, I can see that fan isn't quite level. Do you think the birds notice? Next time, get it right, they do notice and I've heard about it thru the chicken squawking in my back yard. Chicken news travels fast that way.

And hey, it looks like Thunder Chicken is a believer like us. I got a double yolker the other day, it must mean I have a rooster, not a laying hen. Of course if it crows, it's done laying. Freezer camp, that is.

For about $1000, you can buy a worn-out trailer from a trucking company.  They are water-proof, 53 ft x 9 ft x 10 ft.  One of them would hold a hellova lot of chickens.  Wooden floor and aluminum walls.  If your neighbors don't already hate you, this might cure that.

John

i dont have a thousand dollars to spend on a trailer :(. but that would be nice to save up for and get in a few years. My neghbors dont even know i have chickens. One is an old ldy, here husband died a few uears ago and she kinda feel off her rocker after thzt. other is my friend. herband her family have coon dogs and i dont hat orher kinds but i stan out in my uard i can here them bark nonstop. and then the lat is at the very end of the road. i dont like him and couldnt care less what he thinks. i think he was born without a brain. we would rid horses on the rodr and de come up and stop to talk. and sits their and revs it( my horse at the time was very afrid of noises like that and cows for some reason) and he one of goats got out one day. He was going like 75 and hit and killed. we truing to catch it too. never even said he was sorry and disnt even get as mich as a speedding ticket. long story short they dont know i have chickens and i am sure wouldnt complain if i did.

My dad builds just like you. He says make it heavy duty and only do it once.

UGH! :mad: I bet it went to the wrong house.
We picked up 2 office trailers for free. They were no longer usable in the companies eyes, just had to haul them off. Really glad we have a dually! :D Its the big ones, 53 ft & has 2 separate rooms and a large main area.. Converted one into a workshop/mancave for DH, the 2nd one is my brooding, hatching etc to be. Will use one room for my sick/quarantined. I have floors to repair in it and paint the outside and its ready to go, can't wait! These trailers have working heat and air, it will solve a lot of issues I deal with for my hatches and brooding. I will just have to make myself not go in there 20 times a day :lau .
[/quot

i would never be lucky enough to find a deal lile that!

Small update on my Lavenders.

Although later than I like to feed them last night I decided to spend a few minutes in there and have a chat with them. Now my sister has gone home I can spend a few extra minutes out there and not feel bad.
So, I am glad I did. I am now confident I have a rooster and a hen. Looking back on the earlier pictures I kinds see it, but last night it was obvious.

Defiantly more obvious in this picture too. Her tail feathers have grown out ( a week since I took those scraggy tail feather pictures)

Think this is the one I posted, take of her last week. Looking at the above picture her tail is now full and hen like.

So I now clearly see saddle feathers on him (the other pictures just looked like he has messy feathers).
He is still letting me picking him up for now, so I am going to try and handle him as much as he will allow and maybe he won't be a jerk.
At this age I have not see any rooster activities and he can still be skittish with a few of the hens who get in his face. Guess I had a late developer.

Lavender Orp, EE mixes anyone?

Checked this morning and now I have two chicks fully hatched and another nearly out of the shell. That just leaves one more egg besides the two I knew were a week off. Still tryin to figure out what to do with those. I've been advised to pull them, and also told it will be fine to leave them and let her sit. The tractor they are in is big on the inside. I think I'll go ahead and put food and water in chicks reach tonight (right now it's out in the little run) as I'm sure mom won't leave her nest with those eggs still there. BaaaaBies!

Thanks again for the thoughts and the hugging smilies. Between you guys and my silly hens, I feel like I'm okay at this point. I think dear Frou-Frou knew something was wrong yesterday. She was following me relentlessly, even into the coop addition that I had blocked off for Margaret's integration. Such a sweetie. Then I was feeding wild grapes off the vine to the girls and I ended up with Rangi on my shoulder. She's a smart one, she is! She sat up there for the longest time snatching grapes out of my hands before I could toss them to the rest of the girls. And, of course, there was the whole event of Rosie laying an egg and then crowing over and over again for a good 15 minutes afterward. I've got a video--I'll upload it eventually for y'all to see. Strangely enough, she is not the first hen I've had that crows.

And quit advertising, silly. I've had one of my posts ''edited by staff'' with no notice whatsoever. What were you selling?? Isn't John advertising in the post below?

That's the thing, I wasn't selling anything. Someone was commenting on one of my young roosters and I pretty much just said they could have him if they wanted him. :confused:

I have had 2 hens that crow !!!!

Quote:
That's the thing, I wasn't selling anything. Someone was commenting on one of my young roosters and I pretty much just said they could have him if they wanted him.
hu.gif

Maybe we should move to facebook , where we aren't moderated !!!

Back
Top Bottom