INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Now, obviously when it comes to unnatural things like Styrofoam or insulation, they are not so keen on what they can and can't eat. The one time I used my incubator (it's a hovabator or whatever they're called, made out of Styrofoam), I put it outside to be cleaned and the hens started to eat it! One corner has small, beak-sized chunks missing from them eating it!
roll.png

Isn't that the truth. Have something obscure in the pen and watch them fall over each other to try it. They especially like my toes (and have blooded them before) ... Moral to that one is don't go into the coop with flip flops on.

What kind of scraps do you all give your chickens? I have just been giving mine greens and fruit. I have leftovers in my fridge that I need to get rid of, but I don't want to give them something bad for them.

If it is somewhat edible, I throw it over the fence. If they like it, they eat it. Including meat scraps that the dog didn't get. I won't give onions and such for fear of stinky eggs. I pulled up spent broccoli plants and threw them in. They ate all the leaves. I tossed the stems in the trash. Plums, apples, grapes, ears of corn, moldy bread, tomatos (not the vines, not good for them), past prime strawberries, everything. The neighbors also bring table scraps. Nobody has died yet. Knock on wood.

John

PS. If Pip disagrees, always listen to Pip. She probably knows more about raising chickens than the rest of us put together.

Last edited:
So, slightly terrified of the 1162 unread posts.... I guess I'll get around to that later. Just wanted to pop in say hi, I'm still here, just very busy. Chickens are great and terribly naughty. Still no eggs and they now love to go hang out in the neighbors run and then not figure out how to get out. We have 3 breeds in common so I think I'm going to have to get some leg bands because it's starting to get difficult to tell my girls apart from theirs.

Finally got shingles on the coop, not the only thing left is building exterior nesting boxes and siding. I'm throwing in some temp nesting boxes tonight. Hopefully that will inspire the ladies to start popping out some eggs!

Hope everything is going well for everyone. I'm going to try and catch up on posts at some point in my life. Welcome to any new members that I have missed in the last couple of weeks. I'm a slacker...

hydytara.jpg
tyby5ezu.jpg
my silkie egg hatched today. Hurray! Only this isn't all silkie is it? I THOUGHT the roo was a white silkie like the momma but that's not possible with this color is it? Looks like that rascally Sebright Hercules strikes again!!!

No eggs in sight yet but we have found SNAKES! GAH!. We found recently hatched "mutt" snakes...they kind that will imitate poisonous snakes to keep predators away.. we were told they were released by Crane. Thanks Crane...

White Silkies are recessive white, so the father could not have been the white Silkie in order to have produced a dark chick. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm second-guessing myself here. :oops: )

White Silkies are recessive white, so the father could not have been the white Silkie in order to have produced a dark chick. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm second-guessing myself here. :oops: )
I think you are right. Goes along with what I just read. That means my 13 week old (now 16 wk old) silver Sebright roo fathered this baby lol. I can't wait to see how it's feathers come in.

Back
Top Bottom