INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I have 2 Blue Cochin roosters about 4 months and 3 pullets. If you want to borrow one for a month, your are welcome to do so. I will need it back so I have a backup in case something happens to the other one.

Don't know if the 127 mile trip would be worth it.

John
I don't know what you're discussing or who you're discussing it with, but that's the picture of your blue Cochin pullet that I saw after my Lavender orp was put to sleep. Are you selling one? I could add her to my flock of two brown orps. I fell in love with that photo last time you posted it.

I have 2 Blue Cochin roosters about 4 months and 3 pullets. If you want to borrow one for a month, your are welcome to do so. I will need it back so I have a backup in case something happens to the other one.

Don't know if the 127 mile trip would be worth it.

John
Lol John, I have one... So maybe I will hatch one or two and see what happens. ;) Thanks for the nice offer though.

[COLOR=000080]Just itching to tell you about FLEA PRODUCTS[/COLOR] I was just reading older posts and noticed ones about Frontline. I just wanted to mention that as far as treating my cats, I used to use Frontline Plus and when the patent ended, I used its generic versions. I noticed more and more that it worked less and less. I treated my cat Lionel last week with my son's help to make sure we applied it close to his skin behind his neck. It did not work at all! I was so upset because Lionel was miserable with fleas and I couldn't imagine waiting a month before I could try something else. I gave him a bath in Dawn, which helped, but totally traumatized him. Today, I took him to the vet who said, "Frontline/Frontline Plus does not work anymore. Fleas have become resistant." Just like viruses and bacteria, parasites quickly mutate to survive. He gave Lionel a pill of Comfortis, which could be given even though Lionel just had the Frontline treatment. Lionel feels a million times better tonight. I am not intentionally trying to lobby against Frontline nor am I endorsing any products. I'm mentioning this because I've heard from other friends who have wondered why the flea treatments they've always used have become ineffective, especially when it has been warned not to re-treat them for a month. My veterinarian also said that cats are much more sensitive to pesticides than dogs are, so that's why there aren't as many treatments available for cats. My son pulled a flea off of Lionel, put it under his microscope and took this photo (yes, we are a weird family!)
Good post! I have herd this as well. Also the manufacturers are as well, thus coming out with new formulas (Advantage II). Another thing to consider with OTC pesticides is they typically don't have very good quality control. When working at the vets office, we saw too many dogs with neurological issues due to giving OTC flea meds (most commonly Hartz brand). I always buy name brand flea products. Not worth the risk, IMO. Very cool picture of the flea as well. I did have many reptile parasite egg photos from running fecal exams. Those were interesting. However one of the most interesting thing from working at vets office were cuterebras. If you've never heard of them, go to YouTube and do a search!

Someone was asking Racinchickins about Cream Legbar's eggs.

Here is a Greenfire photo of a Cream Legbar egg.

legbar-egg-079.jpg

John

I don't know what you're discussing or who you're discussing it with, but that's the picture of your blue Cochin pullet that I saw after my Lavender orp was put to sleep. Are you selling one? I could add her to my flock of two brown orps. I fell in love with that photo last time you posted it.
That's a rooster. I would loan it, but not sell it. I have 2 blue cochin roos for 3 pullets. If one roo drops dead, I will need the backup.

John

Good post! I have herd this as well. Also the manufacturers are as well, thus coming out with new formulas (Advantage II). Another thing to consider with OTC pesticides is they typically don't have very good quality control. When working at the vets office, we saw too many dogs with neurological issues due to giving OTC flea meds (most commonly Hartz brand). I always buy name brand flea products. Not worth the risk, IMO.

Very cool picture of the flea as well. I did have many reptile parasite egg photos from running fecal exams. Those were interesting. However one of the most interesting thing from working at vets office were cuterebras. If you've never heard of them, go to YouTube and do a search!
That's interesting about the OTC brands because I normally always bought prescription brands, but last spring one of my cats was suffering in the evening so I ran to the drug store and bought Hartz flea drops. When I put one drop on him, he literary screamed as though I had put acid on him, so I stopped and put the rest with stuff for "tox-away" recycling.

I should have known that Mr. Fecal Exam Kit would love the flea close-up. I'm surprised you or Old Salt didn't make a comment about Mutant Fleas that wear tin foil hats!

I've seen cuterebra videos-- Did you ever watch the show, "Monsters Inside Me" on Animal Planet? They showed about every kind of gross parasite known. I bet you loved it. haha just teasing you. Those shows were both fascinating and disgusting at the same time.

No wonder I fell in love with it. That's okay, I'd hate to go to Lebanon. I'm afraid of Hezbollah.

I was going to make a comment, but thought better of it. NSA listening and all that. It was a graphic slam of the "peaceful" murderers of helpless civilians and children. Good thing I caught myself and didn't express my feelings on the subject.

John

When do you people sleep???!!!

Also, I know it's mainstream now but I have a problem with the "flee pills" !! I just can't get my mind around injesting a pesticide !! I wouldn't so I can't do it to my pets! Now that being said I know all too well how hard the fight is against flees. IMO

[COLOR=000080]Just itching to tell you about FLEA PRODUCTS[/COLOR] I was just reading older posts and noticed ones about Frontline. I just wanted to mention that as far as treating my cats, I used to use Frontline Plus and when the patent ended, I used its generic versions. I noticed more and more that it worked less and less. I treated my cat Lionel last week with my son's help to make sure we applied it close to his skin behind his neck. It did not work at all! I was so upset because Lionel was miserable with fleas and I couldn't imagine waiting a month before I could try something else. I gave him a bath in Dawn, which helped, but totally traumatized him. Today, I took him to the vet who said, "Frontline/Frontline Plus does not work anymore. Fleas have become resistant." Just like viruses and bacteria, parasites quickly mutate to survive. He gave Lionel a pill of Comfortis, which could be given even though Lionel just had the Frontline treatment. Lionel feels a million times better tonight. I am not intentionally trying to lobby against Frontline nor am I endorsing any products. I'm mentioning this because I've heard from other friends who have wondered why the flea treatments they've always used have become ineffective, especially when it has been warned not to re-treat them for a month. My veterinarian also said that cats are much more sensitive to pesticides than dogs are, so that's why there aren't as many treatments available for cats. My son pulled a flea off of Lionel, put it under his microscope and took this photo (yes, we are a weird family!)
Funnily enough, I was discussing this same thing with a friend last night. I have two dogs and two cats. My spaniel continues to get fleas. I have tried the best topical treatment to the cheapest to no avail. Then everyone got fleas and it was a full out battle treating the animals and the house to control everything. Got everything to a manageable point but my spaniel seems a little more susceptible to fleas I guess. At 75 bucks a pop for the frontline advantix I am mad. Eneded up treating everyone with one a day pills, bathing with flea dip bi weekly, flea collars for the cats and more topical on the dogs. Poor things. I am now flea free... Finally.... Well until he next round.

Back
Top Bottom