INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Just itching to tell you about FLEA PRODUCTS
I was just reading older posts and noticed ones about Frontline. I just wanted to mention that as far as treating my cats, I used to use Frontline Plus and when the patent ended, I used its generic versions. I noticed more and more that it worked less and less. I treated my cat Lionel last week with my son's help to make sure we applied it close to his skin behind his neck. It did not work at all! I was so upset because Lionel was miserable with fleas and I couldn't imagine waiting a month before I could try something else. I gave him a bath in Dawn, which helped, but totally traumatized him.

Today, I took him to the vet who said, "Frontline/Frontline Plus does not work anymore. Fleas have become resistant." Just like viruses and bacteria, parasites quickly mutate to survive. He gave Lionel a pill of Comfortis, which could be given even though Lionel just had the Frontline treatment. Lionel feels a million times better tonight. I am not intentionally trying to lobby against Frontline nor am I endorsing any products. I'm mentioning this because I've heard from other friends who have wondered why the flea treatments they've always used have become ineffective, especially when it has been warned not to re-treat them for a month.

My veterinarian also said that cats are much more sensitive to pesticides than dogs are, so that's why there aren't as many treatments available for cats.

My son pulled a flea off of Lionel, put it under his microscope and took this photo (yes, we are a weird family!)

Good Post! I was at Costco the other day and bought the Kirkland brand of the Frontline and even though it seems to be working, it does not distribute like the Frontline does. It just sat in a gooey mess on my dog and cat until I brushed them out more. Now I know why it cost less and thank you for letting me know to watch for effectiveness.
Lol John, I have one... So maybe I will hatch one or two and see what happens. ;) Thanks for the nice offer though.
That is one fluffy butt!
When do you people sleep???!!!

Also, I know it's mainstream now but I have a problem with the "flee pills" !! I just can't get my mind around injesting a pesticide !! I wouldn't so I can't do it to my pets! Now that being said I know all too well how hard the fight is against flees. IMO
lau.gif
I get up every morning looking forward to reading because I know there are many night owls here.

Great pics everyone.

One more note, last night I was explaining the issue of my little blue Ameraucana to my kids and my daughter says "well can't we just get her a friend?" I'm thinking yes, but shushhhhh. My DH says from the other side of the house "NO MORE CHICKENS." Ugh. All my kids heard him say it. Since we've been working on them not being sneaky a lot lately, I'm going to have to stay above board on this and wait until I can convince him its in his best interest to let me have one more.
barnie.gif

Update on Lola

She is still the same, but now her brother is starting to have difficulty walking. I remember reading a post on here about Cornish crosses and how they just sit there and eat and eat. That caught my attention because that's what Lola and her brother Curly did when they ate before they had the problems with there legs. Then I looked up pictures of Cornish rock crosses, and what do you know they look exactly like them. So I came to the conclusion that the guy I got them from lied to me when he said they were white rocks, but actually Cornish crosses. Im really sad now because now I think they can't recover and even if they did it would probably come back. As much as I don't want to say this, I will probably have to put them down.

kabhyper1- easter eggers dont have color varieties. like pipd said they are just mutts. They actually arent even a breed (most people assume they are). But they do lay some pretty eggs and have some great personaltites. Does yours lay a blue egg? Just wondereing as they can lay blue, green, pink, brown, and white. (i have never had one lay white but some peoploe on the EE braggers thread have. My newest EE that I got from brad. Lay a Brown eggs.I got 2 eggs in a row from her about a month ago and none since then (she is a new layer).

O and I guess I got my first blue egg (not first ever) a day or 2 ago. I must of missed it when I was gathering eggs. I found the eggshell in the pen, they ate it! I only have 3 pullets in the pen. One of which is the easter egger which lays brown (she is the one that fakes her egg song). And I have a blue araucana and a black ameraucana. Both of which will lay blue eggs. The ameraucanas comb is more red and the egg shell looked like iit would of been a large. (i think they egg might of been too big for the araucana to lay!

Back
Top Bottom