INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Well I need to vent!! Had one of my horses pass away this morning. She went down with colic yesterday , actually the night before. I could see spots where she had rolled in the night. Emergency vet visit!!$$$$ he tried some things and I walked her from 1:30-4 ( in this heat) then my DH walked her and we took turns till dark. She was still up this morning but not good and passed sometime between 8-9. It's just soo awful being so helpless in these situations. Now my other horse won't leave her and she died where we will never be able to get her out for the fertilizer company to get her!!!

Sigh
hugs.gif

Kab- I have a EE that looks just like your Peaches. I'll get a pic sometime. But she lays green eggs. My other EE's lay blue and my new girls arnt laying yet.

Peaches lays pink eggs, well they are a brownish pink. Oddly enough I named her before she layed an egg here. Maybe I should have named her bluebell, or greenly or some other color. I don't know much more than what you all have told me about them. She is very friendly and sweet though. Her color is unusual to me. Congrats on your blue egg! I hope you don't have an egg eater in your flock. I found two small eggs under the roost this morning, broken, but not eaten. I scooped them right up. I don't want any egg eaters. I have some young girls, so they must be having egg dreams or something. They are falling right out in their sleep. :)
Ha, how ironic! I like her name :). Thank you. I have had egg eaters before. I dont freak out or anything when I do have one. Not that I appreaciate them eating my eggs, but i dont eat the eggs anyways. I just give them to family members. When I start breeding I really wont appreciate the egg eaters.
lau.gif

Well I need to vent!! Had one of my horses pass away this morning. She went down with colic yesterday , actually the night before. I could see spots where she had rolled in the night. Emergency vet visit!!$$$$ he tried some things and I walked her from 1:30-4 ( in this heat) then my DH walked her and we took turns till dark. She was still up this morning but not good and passed sometime between 8-9. It's just soo awful being so helpless in these situations. Now my other horse won't leave her and she died where we will never be able to get her out for the fertilizer company to get her!!!
I am so sorry
hugs.gif
. I know how hard colic is to deal with. About 2 years ago I had a horse that had colic.Took turns walking here. Walked her for hours. then we had a huge storm, with tornado warning out. My moms boyfriend stayed in the barn with her walking her around the barn throughout the storm. It was a miracle she lived. Since then she has had back problems and everything. i no longer have horses. this horse was moms boyfriend and they split up and of course he took her. I hope you can fin a friend for your other horse or something. I had two horses who my parent had before I was born. then had been together the better part of 15 years. One died and the other was just so heart broken. We got some more horses, t took him a little time but eventually he was the same old happy lazy horse. He out lived her by 5-10 years.

Its funny all of these posts about flea treatments. I've had such great results from the DE in the coop all summer and then BAM! I went to go spot check my rooster last night and I did not see mites but some black bugs, much bigger than mites, crawling around the vent area. Ugh. Fleas maybe? That was my first thought but I'm not positive. So today I am trying to decide what to do. I considered frontline but forget that! I can use poultry guard again, but that seems kind of like a waste of time. I don't usually go straight for the pesticides but I feel like I've tried about everything else. I could do a flea bath but that's basically the same pesticide as the dusts. I think I'll pick up some Poultry & Garden dust today and this evening get under his wings and vent. He only shares a small coop with three other hens. He doesn't like the big new coop. I'll treat them all and clean out the coops. I think I'll just look the other chickens over (the ones that sleep in the separate coop) before treating them as well. Sound like a decent plan of action?

And danand, I am so sorry to hear of your horse. On top of everything else watching the other animals react to a death is just heart wrenching. I'm sorry you are having to deal with all that today. :(

Lastly, I think my momma silkie is going to abandon the last two eggs that arent due til next week. I found her out in the little tractor yard with her babies this morning. Suspicions will be confirmed (or not) when I get home today.

Last edited:
The wood ash has done really well for prevention for me.

I don't know about the fleas, but folks I know have had good results by treating their birds for lice/mite infestations by taking the birds, one-by-one, and working wood ash down into their feathers right to the skin. They repeat every couple days and report that it does the job.

Might work for fleas too? I just never heard of chickens getting fleas until now. The ash suffocates the eggs and I'd think it might deter fleas too. Might be a good thing to try if you want to go a more natural route.

Of course, if you have 100 chickens, catching each one of them for an ash treatment probably isn't practical
ep.gif
But you could try putting some in their dusting areas and see if they use it themselves. Mine don't always use the ash areas. They use it sometimes at their own choice.

Last edited:
I think my little bantam rooster has a cold or slight upper respiratory infection. At least he is small then when he tries to fight me giving medicene it was be as hard to control him.

The rooster, my big buff brahma, seems to be the only one that has the recurring bug problem. The others seem to keep things under control (I really need to check them over again too though). They all dust but I don't add anything to their dusting areas. Maybe I'll add a little wood ash and DE to the dusting areas tonight and then just individually treat him and possibly his three coopmates. I don't have as much of a problem putting a little pesticide on him if he needs it since he isn't an egg producer. I only have four in that coop but I have a total of 26 birds now.

I've officially gone crazy and won the lavender cuckoo Cochin bantam eggs. Now I need o find some lavender Cochin bantams to breed them to to diversify the lines. But then again, think I will be waiting to see if they actually hatch! Lol

Well... when the time comes let me know if they do not float your boat. I would be happy to enjoy them :D

With your girl to boy ratio you gave me, I am sure I could handle them unsexed too.

Back
Top Bottom