1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Cluck, Quack, YAK-YAK-YAK! Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I was just going to say this. Most birds whose young people might come across in their yard have a limited sense of smell and will not detect a human's scent on their young just from a touch.

If the dove looks like the bird in the picture, then it is a fledgeling and is learning to survive on its own. I would leave it alone if I were you. It'll do fine on its own assuming a predator (or perhaps even a chicken) doesn't find it.

2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

He went way back under my landscaping, right next to the house, so hopefully he can sleep safely through the night. I have water out there for it, so we will see tomorrow.

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I had a beautiful pumpkin growing, so close to being ripe, and the hens found it after ignoring it for weeks! :he :mad: The only pumpkin they let get to ripening age and they just decided to go and partially gut it after this long! It probably would have been ready within the next few days, too! :barnie

4. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's disappointing. :( Although maybe you can use your hens to detect ripe produce, apparently they know when it's time to eat it. Maybe take them to the grocery to thump watermelons for you with their beaks. ;)

5. bradselig

bradselig Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    On a positive note, doesn't pumpkin have anti-parasitic properties!

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Hmmmm. I tried to get my birds to eat pumpkin last year and no matter what I did, they wouldn't eat it. If I wanted them to eat the seeds, I had to trick them by grinding them and hiding it in something else!

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

:lau I don't know if they would approve of that in at the grocery.

I have heard that, too, but I've also seen where people say it doesn't work, so who knows?

Don't worry, my birds are weird. They don't like BOSS. :confused:

On the plus side, it was really meant for the chickens anyway, but it was going to be a mid-winter treat during the snowy days that they don't get to free-range. I guess they get to go without now. :rolleyes:

8. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    In other news, I went out to see if Margaret was in her carrier for the night and found a little white egg in there! At first I was excited--oh my gosh, Margaret laid an egg!--but then I was looking at her and, well, she doesn't exactly look like a laying-aged hen, does she?

[​IMG]

And then I compared the egg to my other bantam eggs and it looks almost exactly like my Sebright bantams' eggs... :rolleyes: So apparently someone jumped the fence. Silly birds!

Meanwhile, my little lady, Roha, performed the first squat of the pullets this year! :D I was petting her and she just went into position!

[​IMG]

I was expecting Whiri to be the first one to squat, what with the comb and all!

[​IMG]

9. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    If you know your birds eat pumpkin...try a pumpkin farm near halloween. Last year I approached the folks at a local pumpkin selling farm and told them I was using them to feed the chickens over the winter. They told me to come back the day after Halloween and I could take all I wanted for free. They said that they do that with lots of folks that pick them up for their livestock. Otherwise they were just going to go dump them on the fields.

Last year I filled up the back of our pickup truck. And...

They wouldn't eat any of them! They ended up making some good compost and the garden was full of pumpkin sprouts in the spring [​IMG]

Strangely enough, the chickens wouldn't even eat the sprouts!

But..
    I yours like pumpkin, it's a great way to stock up some winter feed :D

1 person likes this.
  10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2, it is just an myth that if you touch them the parents will abondon them. My friend who is big into rabbits said you can mess with baby rabbits after they are born. I did when my rabbit had bunnies and she didnt care a bit and was a great mom.

Rose comb brown leghorns, from someone in arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by