INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

That's quite the collection of birds! Do your turkeys fly out of the fenced area? Where do they roost at night? Just curious what they do & need for fencing/shelter because, of course, turkeys are on the list of birds to try raising!
Depending on their mood, they either roost inside with the chickens or on the roof of the coop. Sometimes when they fly down from the roof, they end up outside the fence. Then the silly birds just go round and round the run instead of flying back in. But I just open the gate, and they follow me right in. I am really enjoying them. (note: they aren't old enough to breed yet, and the two jakes have just started displaying and strutting. check back later to see how I feel) They are much more curious than the chickens. They come running up in a big flock whenever we get near the fence hoping for a handout. The chickens have started following them just in case food is in the offing. As far as shelter goes, I keep them inside the electric netting as much as possible to keep them away from dogs and coyotes, but they are big enough now that I'm not sure much else would mess with them. The weather so far doesn't bother them much. They will rest under the coop or in any other shade they can find on a hot afternoon. Other than that, they are on a constant wander for food. The only chicken I have that is like that is my Egyptian Fayoumi hen. She walks right with them, even though they are many times her size.

I've officially gone crazy and won the lavender cuckoo Cochin bantam eggs. Now I need o find some lavender Cochin bantams to breed them to to diversify the lines. But then again, think I will be waiting to see if they actually hatch! Lol
Yay! Chicken math strikes again!
yippiechickie.gif

Ihi the Golden Campine--she looks like a relative of racinchickens' Hamburg!
love.gif

I just love this coloring. And except for the combs, I'd say we have twins separated at hatch!

Roha the Exchequer Leghorn:

I really like her coloring too! I need to get me some Exchequer (just so I can say the name.....) By the way, what is the difference between this coloring and mottling?

My understanding of it is that Exchequer is mottling plus dominant white, which causes the more random white blotches all over than mottled birds have. If you look closely between Rangi, who is mottled, and Roha, who is Exchequer, you can see that Rangi's spots are only on the tips of her feathers and much more evenly distributed than Roha's blotches. :)

You guys have such pretty birds!!! Since you are all so knowledgeable about genetics and such, could someone tell me what color my Peaches is? She is an EE. She lays peach colored eggs. Her head isn't dirty. It's actually gray.
Because Easter-eggers are basically mixed breeds, there is no way of telling what genetics she might have without some test crossing. I suspect there is blue in there (which explains the blue-ish head) and maybe some wheaten. She is beautiful. :)

Because Easter-eggers are basically mixed breeds, there is no way of telling what genetics she might have without some test crossing. I suspect there is blue in there (which explains the blue-ish head) and maybe some wheaten. She is beautiful.
smile.png
I got her from Cluck Acres. She is my shoulder buddy. ;) I am not planning on hatching eggs from her, but I'll bet a silver laced wyandotte, or Blue Cochin would be very weird cross with her LOL!

Quote:
I know how you feel! I can't keep up either. Sometimes it feels like a lottery when you post something too, because this thing moves so fast, half the time it doesn't get seen.
tongue.png
I read every post even if I am far behind like I am now. I'm just afraid I will miss something if I don't read them all-- and they are worth taking the time. The photos are an added bonus. We have a great group!

I've been trying to catch up after a long weekend bringing furniture to our daughter in Indy and also to our daughter at IU. Luckily we completed all the moving tasks because last night after I had watered a hillside flower bed, I slipped and twisted my right knee. Had it checked today and have torn cartilage. It's not that big of a deal, just annoying. My chickens were helping me weed when it happened, and they look stunned when I slipped and fell like, "Oh no, our leader has fallen!"

Meanwhile my Jubilee Orp, Adeline, and yet to be named Chocolate Bantam Orp (I've been referring to them as "the two brown ones") have been getting used to hanging out near the Five Mean Hens. Actually my Jersey Giant who is the flock leader is laid back, but the other four occasionally run the brown ones off. My EE is normally so sweet, but she's at the bottom of the pecking order out of the five, so she's been the meanest to the brown ones. I suppose she wants to let them know that she's not going to be "under them" as well. The bantam is so laid back that she just does what she wants without fear while big and fluffy Adeline is nervous around the other hens. Chicken behavior is so fascinating.
D.gif

Egg #2. Birth date 8/28/2013, slightly heavier. A little darker. Found it under the roost.

But I am suspicious. My neighbor is fascinated with my chickens and brings garden and table scraps almost every day.

I checked for eggs at about 6 PM; none. I noticed Mel out there at around 7. I found the egg at about 8. Hmmmmmm.

I suppose it wouldn't be possible for a friend to buy some brown eggs and "salt the mine"? Naaaaahhhhhhh. One guy would NEVER do that to another guy. I'm sure that would violate some "guy code" or something.

Never mind.

Two eggs. Works out to about $450 each.

John

I got her from Cluck Acres. She is my shoulder buddy. ;) I am not planning on hatching eggs from her, but I'll bet a silver laced wyandotte, or Blue Cochin would be very weird cross with her LOL!

I have 2 Blue Cochin roosters about 4 months and 3 pullets. If you want to borrow one for a month, your are welcome to do so. I will need it back so I have a backup in case something happens to the other one.

Don't know if the 127 mile trip would be worth it.

John

Last edited:
Just itching to tell you about FLEA PRODUCTS
I was just reading older posts and noticed ones about Frontline. I just wanted to mention that as far as treating my cats, I used to use Frontline Plus and when the patent ended, I used its generic versions. I noticed more and more that it worked less and less. I treated my cat Lionel last week with my son's help to make sure we applied it close to his skin behind his neck. It did not work at all! I was so upset because Lionel was miserable with fleas and I couldn't imagine waiting a month before I could try something else. I gave him a bath in Dawn, which helped, but totally traumatized him.

Today, I took him to the vet who said, "Frontline/Frontline Plus does not work anymore. Fleas have become resistant." Just like viruses and bacteria, parasites quickly mutate to survive. He gave Lionel a pill of Comfortis, which could be given even though Lionel just had the Frontline treatment. Lionel feels a million times better tonight. I am not intentionally trying to lobby against Frontline nor am I endorsing any products. I'm mentioning this because I've heard from other friends who have wondered why the flea treatments they've always used have become ineffective, especially when it has been warned not to re-treat them for a month.

My veterinarian also said that cats are much more sensitive to pesticides than dogs are, so that's why there aren't as many treatments available for cats.

My son pulled a flea off of Lionel, put it under his microscope and took this photo (yes, we are a weird family!)

Back
Top Bottom