INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

UGH! City life is NOT for me. I love where we live. I let the towns PD park in the driveway., we have a new grade school about a half mile north and I hate people speeding on our road
somad.gif
They recently annexed us into Ingalls. We are friends with one of the officers way before the annexation. Always been polite and considerate. They know I have a "few" birds
gig.gif
And are very careful if they pull in during the day. I wonder if the free eggs help
wink.png
Just kidding, they usually turn them down. They usually will go for some lemonade or an ice water tho! There was a large bull calf loose a few weeks ago, and of course it wound up here! It blew through the back of our pasture, so now i know our weak points.

I am so sorry, its painful to watch nature at work sometimes.

Ugh, I have a lot of work ahead of me, my list is way out of date too. I am newbie with peafowl too, but have 5 adorable babies thanks to M2H! (
hugs.gif
to you Julie!)
Brad, Cannot say THANK YOU enough for helping! Lots of fresh ideas to make the member list easier to navigate.
I know they were just doing their job, but would it have kill them to at lease knock on the door and let us know, so could have put the chickens up? I know they have to had seen the chickens loose. The chickens always hang out on the side of the yard where the cop came in. When they left they didn't shut the gate right and we had to chase 2 chickens up and down our street.

Im not posting this to disturb anyone, but anyone who says birds dont have feelings, have never seen this. I buried him. But it was incredibly sad.
I am so sorry. I know that for a week after Violet died, Adeline called for her. Animal behaviorists have been recognizing that many species mourn. Here's an interesting article:
Western scrub jays hold what we would call funerals when they encounter a dead member of their species. Teresa Iglesias and colleagues from the University of California at Davis noted that jays, on seeing a dead bird, gather around it; in the journal Animal Behavior, they write that this behavior may have evolved from needing to warn other birds of dangers.
The scientists conducted experiments in which they placed a number of objects into residential yards and observed how the jays reacted. The objects included different colored pieces of wood, dead jays, mounted stuffed jays and great horned owls.
The jays were indifferent to the wood. They gathered together and issued alarm calls on seeing the mounted horned owls, apparently because they thought they were predators. They sometimes mobbed the stuffed jay, a behavior displayed when seeing a competitor or a sick bird.
But their behavior towards the dead birds was the most significant. Not only did the jays issue alarm calls to warn others far away, but they stopped foraging for food for days. As the BBC explains, after finding the dead bird,
The jays then gathered around the dead body, forming large cacophonous aggregations. The calls they made, known as “zeeps”, “scolds” and “zeep-scolds”, encouraged new jays to attend to the dead.​
The scientists wrote that just the sight of a dead bird was enough to make the jays seek to share this information to warn other birds of possible dangers, even “without witnessing the struggle and manner of death.”
Geese are very serious about commitment, devoting themselves to one bird for a lifetime. After a goose dies, its mate will undergo a rigorous mourning process, including weight loss, separation from the flock and submission to other geese. Eventually, the goose will find a new mate in another bird that has lost its partner.

Thank you everyone that sent in requests for change on the Members list. I got them all changed now. Again, feel free to send me requests anytime. I know we are all crazy chicken people and the breeds can change daily for some haha!
Okay, please add all the names of everyone's flocks and the meaning of their names and how old each one is and where they got them and which one is the flock leader and what their favorite treats are and . . .
THANKS, Brad, for all the updates and THANKS Quinstar/Erin for holding down the fort for so long by handling all the spreadsheets!!

ok wow......spent the last two and 1/2 days just catching up on posts!!!!!!!!!!
caf.gif
phewwww!!!!
th.gif
absolutely love all the pictures that people have posted and I am also so very sad to hear about the losses of chickens, horses, and other birds. Nature can be so cruel sometimes.

On a different note, the girls are getting through this wacky and crazy early molt. I am happy to report that one of my white layers has started laying again!! Yay!! we are in egg deprivation mode and i have missed their yummy eggs(as well as some of my co-workers who constantly ask me everyday if they have started laying again!)

CityHen~~welcome to the forum! (i know this is late) just wanted to say hello to a fellow indianapolis chicken person.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!!!!

Quote:
I am so sorry. I know that for a week after Violet died, Adeline called for her. Animal behaviorists have been recognizing that many species mourn. Here's an interesting article:
Interesting article! Thanks for sharing.
I agree, the geese seem to stay with their main flock, and favorite mate. My gander mostly favors one hen, so I have added several ganders to next years flock, goose also. when I sent the 2 hens to bwindell, Gee ignored the other 3 girls for at least a month. Fertility increased significantly once he accepted 2 of the remaining hens, and ignored the 3rd. The ignored hen (grey chinese) only produced 2 fertile eggs/goslings the entire season. Geese and ducks seem to follow the same pattern.

Quote:
That's terribly inconsiderate. I would call and talk to a supervisor, officers know they are expected to treat the public and their property with respect. Most do so and with great enthusiasm, patience and tolerance. I will say tho, if the person of interest was dangerous, their top priority is to protect us. Sometimes in the heat of the moment they forget their manners. I was in and around police departments, married to a cop and worked in the community services division for years (animal control).
Protecting the public is always priority above everything. That officer may have thought the chickens were unimportant, but closing a gate takes 2 seconds. I guess for me it would depend on the urgency of the situation? I hated living in town/city communities for this very reason and a lot more. Crime can happen anywhere, but the higher the population is the crime seems to be worse! As well as good old fashioned manners.

You could sell the guns. What could you do with a dead kitten?
lau.gif
Na keep the guns. May need them someday. Good luck finding ammo right now, shelves are bare everywhere.

Quote: X2 and thanks to you too M2H

ok wow......spent the last two and 1/2 days just catching up on posts!!!!!!!!!!
caf.gif
phewwww!!!!
th.gif
absolutely love all the pictures that people have posted and I am also so very sad to hear about the losses of chickens, horses, and other birds. Nature can be so cruel sometimes.

On a different note, the girls are getting through this wacky and crazy early molt. I am happy to report that one of my white layers has started laying again!! Yay!! we are in egg deprivation mode and i have missed their yummy eggs(as well as some of my co-workers who constantly ask me everyday if they have started laying again!)

CityHen~~welcome to the forum! (i know this is late) just wanted to say hello to a fellow indianapolis chicken person.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!!!!
Many of us have hens that are slackers right now! really been odd. Sure hope they pick up the pace soon!

I can officially say... caught up. We are going camping this weekend and visiting my in laws in Richmond. Will still have Internet so hope to stay caught up! I just love brookville lake. Fishing will be awful since its a holiday, but the lake and land is so pretty i just enjoy seeing it. Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday! Be back Monday nite
big_smile.png

Originally Posted by Old Salt 1945 You could sell the guns. What could you do with a dead kitten?
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm sure that Kiniska's Birthday Kitten is alive and well and is racing around keeping her up all night.[/FONT]
Originally Posted by jchny2000 Many of us have hens that are slackers right now! really been odd. Sure hope they pick up the pace soon!
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For the past month or so, my hens have not been laying normally. My EE took a few weeks off and is laying again. My RIR decided to lay an egg in the flower bed today and she's never done that before. Maybe they need to start wearing tin foil hats. Something strange is going on.
I'm still faithfully catching up on old posts . . . Btw, someone asked about Night Owls. I have always been one although I've had to conform to society and sleep "normal" hours for much of my life. Now that my schedule is more flexible, I typically sleep (off and on) from 2:00am - 9:00am. I am one of the few on this thread who is on Central time, so that's one reason I'm one of the late posters.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Speaking of posters, I love WPA posters. Thanks for posting this one:[/FONT]

The red sex-links felt left out. Do you think the curled over comb is a leghorn characteristic? No idea what cross they are.
My RIR has a floppy comb and I'll never forget reading in my first chicken book that a RIR with a floppy comb is UNDESIRABLE. How rude! My RIR thinks it's quite fashionable.
Julie0477~ My EE hen looks like yours! And danands!
Your Silkie mommy and chicks pictures are adorable. How are they doing?

Originally Posted by julie0477
I had to download the app Tapatalk to add pics from my phone.
Several members who solely use cell phones to access BYC have not been able to change their avatars. Does Tapatalk make that do-able?

Back
Top Bottom