INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. EmSteele

EmSteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    LOVE Speckled Sussex! We have a hen and roo pair. They are my husbands pride and joy! I've been looking for another hen if yo run across any...

2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    [​IMG] took this yesterday afternoon. They are such a cute little family! As for the two remaining eggs.... She doesn't spend nearly as much time on the nest. I'll candle first but I'll probably have to throw them out.

Bumblefoot - I was told by someone on my FB group to soak my hens feet in Epsom
    Salts twice a day and the scabs may just come up with the help of tweezers. Ick sorry - hope you aren't eating breakfast! Anyway, I started the soaking last night. We will see how that goes.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  3. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    She's not dead yet. Actually she is feeling much better. Wants to go for a walk. She feels happy. ;) Tell me what that is from and I will give you an EO pullet next year.

4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Tapatalk update - I wasn't able to make any avatar changes with the app. Does make it easy to add pics but just to threads. I'll look at it more later. Maybe I'm over looking something.

5. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You could give it someone for their BD?

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

7. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    OMG you people never stop talking on this thread! I can't keep up, and respond to some of the interesting posts, so sometimes I just read.

Sorry to hear about the losses lately, and about rude police. I like to live in the city, it's nice to be in walking distance to the grocery store. I can't raise everything in my backyard. I still wonder about the black helicopters that hover overhead, tho. Maybe they are taking count of the chickens and know whose house to go to when we all have to bug out. I'm taking my chickens, BTW, and heading to Old Salt's place when that happens.

Just finished the most delicious omelette while catching up on the posts, it had a garlic/herb cheese center. Our flock of 7 are reliably giving us 5 eggs/day all month now. Pretty sure 2 girls are not even laying yet! Wonder when the molting happens for us.

8. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Okay, well earlier this week I mentioned having a video of my little Sebright, Rosie, crowing. Here it is finally:

[VIDEO]

She had just laid an egg, but instead of singing the egg song, she decided to crow, I guess. (The clucking in the background is one of the EE drama queen sisters panting. :rolleyes: )

1 person likes this.
  9. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

Your girls are young, so you shouldn't see a real molt until next year. Here's what you have to look forward to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't even gotten pictures of this year's early molters yet. Cressida, the girl in the third picture, is looking pretty rough right now. :lol:

ETA: Oh, I forgot to include Cricket, who decided to lose all of her feathers around the beginning of the year, when we were having some REALLY cold weather. She was getting weak from the cold, so we made her a dress:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. herebynightfall

herebynightfall Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Greensburg, IN
    It's been a really long time since I've been on this thread...hundreds and hundreds of posts!!

So, my chickens just started laying (wyandottes), and I have gotten three eggs in the past three days, all really small, but I understand they get bigger. :)

Question is, from that frequency, do I have two hens laying? Three? I've only caught one of them laying, but I saw a different one squatting the other day. I'm guessing the only way to really tell is to catch them doing it?

Here are updated pictures too! My rooster, Frankie:

[​IMG]

Three of my goldens:

[​IMG]

And the hen I caught laying an egg this morning (Daisy):

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by