INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Leah's mom- sorry about the eggs. What are the new babies?

Julie- pic of the new, dry baby??!!

Mr tattoo- what are you feeding? Some of mine have not adapted well to adult food and I've put them back on chick food. Also you could try some Polyviso without iron?? And electrolytes and vita in her water. I get my DE at Tractor supply, there's a farm store over on the west side past the hospital( can't remember the name), maybe they would have it?

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    YEAH !!!! She came back !!![​IMG]

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    For the symptoms you are describing, DE would not accomplish anything I'm afraid. It is used for something totally different.

Have you picked her up and done a thorough examination? Here are some of the things you can look for:

-Look at her vent. Is there any discharge/smell? Does it look red or irritated in any way?

-Any signs of lice or mites? You may see eggs on the feather shafts close to the skin around the vent area or may see the bugs near the vent area. Also, part the feathers down to the skin in various places on her body and see what you find.

-Look at the bottom of her feet. Is there any sign of infection or scabs?

-Look at her legs. Look for any sign of the scales on the legs being raised or irritated in any way. Do they lay flat and tight? Do they look swollen at all?

-Listen to how she is breathing. Does is sound like there is any wheezing? Do you see any discharge from the nostrils? Is there any sneezing?

-If you have a rooster that is actively mating, be sure to look at her sides, under her wings all the way back to her bottom end. Part the feathers and see if there are any cuts or wounds. Sometimes the rooster's spurs will cut into the girls in that area and there could be wounds/infection.

-Are any of your other birds exhibiting any symptoms? Looking/acting "not themselves" or is it just this one bird?

After you have done those things, let us know what you find. We may be able to give you some thoughts that will be helpful. You can feel free to pm me too if you'd like.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    3 people like this.
  4. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    The gray is Swedish Flower Hen.

The 2 blacks have a SFH daddy but I'm pretty sure they are BA mom. I have to confirm that conclusion, however!

5. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    LMA- good!!! I've had several get missed and stay out and do fine. But I'm waiting for one that doesn't!!!

Leah's mom- that's much better advice than I gave to Mr Tattoo. Thank you!! Ooohhhh Sweedish!!! That's on my short list!!;)

M2 H- your girls sure are pretty. And so much fluffier than my regular BO's!!!

6. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
    Woohoo!! I caught up! Now I have to play catch up with my house ;)

I saw a couple of questions about my laminate on my roosts, I will post pics later but it doesn't seem to be to slippery for them. It had a slightly textured feel to it to begin with and covered over with dust pretty quickly.

7. browncow15

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Here are my roosts, at least a section of them. it was kind of a pain to put laminate on after the fact, a lot more cutting, but it doesn't take me long to clean now. Most everything scrapes up with the plastic mud spatula and into the dust pan.

[​IMG]

Some of my girls :)

[​IMG]
    Red, my only chicken with a name and the only ISA hen I have.

[​IMG]
    My rooster that's about to end up on my dinner table. Anyone have a really easy going adult rooster that's good with kids for sale?!?

[​IMG]
    The outside of my coop and run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

8. browncow15

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    My other babies :)

And just because she's so pretty
    [​IMG]
    My sister and her husband :) who also happens to be my husband's best friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

9. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    CRSelvey~ Glad to hear your blue girl returned! Did she just show up or did you find her somewhere?

TooFast~ Thanks for the Tech advice! It's working today. I have a iMac, so if they updated something that's probably why mine changed and wasn't working.

Mr. Tattoo~ Leahs Mom is a great resource for health issues. Hopefully through your exam of the chicken, you found clues.

Here are two links for looking at chicken poop:
    http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=f5a02f9f75d141ca9ca0658c2d595aae;topic=17568.0
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

Here is info about Central Nervous System problems from "Chicken Health for Dummies"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by