INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    browncow~ Your sister looks beautiful-- it's nice to see the newlyweds. Btw, Don't forget to label your cow breeds. They all look so sweet. I like this photo you posted the other day, too!
    [​IMG]

2. MrTattoohead

MrTattoohead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Bloomington, IN

Over the past few days I've done all you've described.

Vent is pink and free of pests, underside of feet are intact and supple (no lumps), leg scales are smooth and not not lifted anywhere, no rooster, no discharge at the vent or nostrils, our other 3 girls are jumping and flapping about the yard like champs when we let them out. She's alert and eats well when we give her warm mash and yogurt.

Things I think are weird: her comb and wattles are pale and whitish. She's very light and her keelbone is prominent. When I inspected her feathers around her head I found the bases of some had white, hard, flaking build up where they joined the skin. They had these tiny rust brown bits to them as well. I did not see anything scury for cover when I parted her feathers.

We thought it might be worms and read that DE might help combat that. We've also order a vitamin/electrolyte supplement.

Thank you for asking

Also, glad to see your lady came back, CRSelvey. :)

Edited for clarity

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    kinda sounds like the chicjen ciuld be enemic with loss of color in comb and wattles. I would get some sevin dust and powder her up. Based off what you said with thr build up around feathers im thinking parasites. Might want to consider ivermectin or another that takes care of external and internal parasites.

4. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    When leaving for work today I walk outside to get in my car. All of a sudden heard a squawk and see the chickens running like crazy. Next I see a hawk swoop down about 15 ft away from me! It lands in a bush and I run at it yelling. It flys to the other end of yhe property. I turn around and another swoops down and flys over to the other hawk! Needless to say the chickens are locked up today.

5. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN

I didn't know you could shoe chickens? [​IMG] What do the shoes look like? I bet they're cute....

6. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
    Shame on me! The brown ones are Brown Swiss calves and the black and white is a Holstein. This is my first time trying my hand at raising our own beef so we will see how it goes :) usually we buy from a friend that raises them. Leah's mom I had to look up the A2/A2 you mentioned very interesting! I had not heard of that. I'd like my own milk cow some day right now I'll settle for the babies.

7. Delawaremommy

Delawaremommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    I got my DE at TSC. They had only the four pound containers but I bought three and mixed it with sand for the girls preening box.....

To the people with broodies that shouldn't be broodie my great grandmother would put them under a bushel basket with a rock on it for a few days....they quickly learned it was better to leave the eggs alone!!! Not even chickens like to be alone for very long!!!

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    lol, that was a typo. But I have seen little bootie things for chicks, you can find the weirdest things on the internet!

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Wow what a scare that must have been! (start keep a gun in your car, but make sure no one id driving by when you shot it lol) Did any of your chickens get injured?

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I have a spare male guinea, if you want it. Free. Great early warning device. Probably not worth the drive, though.

I keep a shotgun by the back door and a .22 rifle in the barn, just in case. Warning shots only, of course.

John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by