INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I am really disappointed in myself right now. I put my children to sleep like I always do and then went out to close up the coop. When I got out there my chickens were sitting on the steps asleep because my kids locked them out of the coop and I didn't notice. Now my beautiful lonely blue ameraucana is not with the group. I have not had a lot of success with chickens staying alive outside here with all the various predators. I really hope she is here in the morning. I searched the trees as much as I could, but she is not in the garden or anywhere around the coop.
barnie.gif
I hate when things happen like that, every day seems to be a challenge. I usually find the stinker the next morning, wishing you best of luck.

Is there any kind hearted soul in the bloomington area that has or knows where I can get food grade DE? We have a sickly bird that isn't responding to TLC well. We are starting down a list of treatments as we don't know the ailment. We're first time chicken folk.

She's lethargic (better now with twice daily solitary feedings of warm mash/yogurt), wants to sit a lot, wobbly on her legs (spreads her wings to catch herself) and her tail is down most of the time. 17ish weeks old and hasn't started laying. Solid poop with a white cap but somewhat dark green (we let them free range some each day as well).

We've ordered some from online but it won't be here for 6 days :(

We just want her to be well. Heart drops everytime she loses her balance and plops on her butt. :(

I can't believe I'm actually trying to help with a tech type question. I am no expert at this stuff by any means. When I click the 'more' button on the right side of the reply, area, thats when I get the A with the under line and my color is back. It pops up with the color choices then. Maybe it doesn't work with your device? I use Windows Vista on my home PC.

Is there any kind hearted soul in the bloomington area that has or knows where I can get food grade DE? We have a sickly bird that isn't responding to TLC well. We are starting down a list of treatments as we don't know the ailment. We're first time chicken folk.

She's lethargic (better now with twice daily solitary feedings of warm mash/yogurt), wants to sit a lot, wobbly on her legs (spreads her wings to catch herself) and her tail is down most of the time. 17ish weeks old and hasn't started laying. Solid poop with a white cap but somewhat dark green (we let them free range some each day as well).

We've ordered some from online but it won't be here for 6 days :(

We just want her to be well. Heart drops everytime she loses her balance and plops on her butt. :(
tractor supply carries smaller containers. I'm sorry I hope she recovers :(

most if the ones i want to get blood tested are not laying yet. You have to get them blood tested to shoe, im actually not sure what they test for but do not it is required. Not very many are certified to blood test. I will just contact the person i already knew.
you will see a lot of odd stuff with new layers.
WOW a lot of changes for the hens. Be patient, stress, feed changes, fear are all there.I am surprised any are laying. Check for mites too, if their stress is high resistance is down.
I know of a lady in NY up in the hills (bycer) that used the billboard covers, and straw bales for insulation around the outside of the coop. gets pretty cold there and worse than Indiana. Works very well. she left gaps at the roof at both ends with no tarp covering it.That did very well for venting, and did an overhang on both ends so no rain got in. I would use them as summer breeding pens, and possibly meat birds. Pheasant if i ever get any.
Thinking about building one with half inch hardware cloth cover for the quail too. Then tarp it. I really enjoy the little guys, they stumble climb and carry on like little miniature chickens.
just adorable!  So far all of mine are on wire but they sure love dust baths and dirt! I use the square sandwich storage containers to add dirt for them to bathe in. They still hop up on my hands. My first ones are 9 weeks old now. I have around 100 from chicks to adults.
LOL, john. I will very definitely take you up on that! Agreed, they do have some stunning breeds, and many i just drool over.
If anyone else wants to get in on a CL order or another breed they carry, pm me.
I am also looking at ordering heritage turkeys from porters. Never heard a wisper of any bad opinions on their stock.
I already have one member possibly going in on a porters order, if anyone else is interested pm also.
I plan to add 10 Bourbon Red, and 10 Mini white poults. (yep a lot) I know of bycers from all over the country recommending both breeders.
This is a great way to lesson the cost of shipping and quantity, and have quality birds too!

thank you an suprisingly out of the years i have raised chickens this is the oddest egg i have seen. I have mever got a soft shelled one ir anything

I hate when things happen like that, every day seems to be a challenge. I usually find the stinker the next morning, wishing you best of luck.

Thank you. I haven't seen her yet, but I'm still hoping she will show up today. Had a long talk with my little ones today.

We've ordered some from online but it won't be here for 6 days
sad.png

We just want her to be well. Heart drops everytime she loses her balance and plops on her butt.
sad.png
I had two that got wobbly and everyone told me to make sure to put some apple cider vinegar in the water too (with mother). Still not sure what Mother is, but I know its in Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar. Now I use it all the time. Good luck with your chicken.

Thank you. I haven't seen her yet, but I'm still hoping she will show up today. Had a long talk with my little ones today.
I had two that got wobbly and everyone told me to make sure to put some apple cider vinegar in the water too (with mother). Still not sure what Mother is, but I know its in Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar. Now I use it all the time. Good luck with your chicken.
PS, you can find Bragg products in the Natural Foods section of most grocery stores.

Back
Top Bottom