INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Congrats and good luck. I have a feeling I am going to have a lot of assisted hatches this time around. the air cells are all screwed up!

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    yes...they were resting point side down - broad side (with the air cell) up.

O well...

Last time I set shipped eggs only 1 of 7 hatched under the broody. They were from 2 different sources. These were from a third.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I was just about to post that the cold water, then the warm, and then the hot. Didnt know so many variables that can change the outcome. I never really liked science, mostly because i'm not go at it.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I think you just dont have good luck with shipped eggs. You have your good hatches and your bad ones.

6. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    I am really disappointed in myself right now. I put my children to sleep like I always do and then went out to close up the coop. When I got out there my chickens were sitting on the steps asleep because my kids locked them out of the coop and I didn't notice. Now my beautiful lonely blue ameraucana is not with the group. I have not had a lot of success with chickens staying alive outside here with all the various predators. I really hope she is here in the morning. I searched the trees as much as I could, but she is not in the garden or anywhere around the coop. [​IMG]

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I hope she shows up tomorrow. I had a chicken that made it all night and was waiting for me at the door in the morning

1 person likes this.
  8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Best wishes.

1 person likes this.
  9. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Random thoughts:

Hot water does not freeze faster then cold water, everything else (mineral content, etc.) being equal. That's like saying cold water boils faster then hot water, silly.

Albert Einstein was once asked for his phone number. He replied he never keeps things in his head he can find easily somewhere else. Even if it is only 1/4 inch thick, John. They do know where you live, and a whole lot more, as you are aware.

Us chicken people are very talkative, and never stop posting!

So, read the rest of the posts about hot vs cold freezing. I know our hot water has a lot more mineral content then our cold water, lots of iron from the 36 year old water heater. (not called a hot water heater, just a water heater. I don't dare empty it for fear it will then leak!) That mineral content should affect freezing rates.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  10. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Welcome. Very takative bunch, this is. Don't stray away very long or you will have 1000 posts to read. Funny how your pullets don't roost. Maybe they are preparing for fall/winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by